• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tough on Crime (Unless You’re a Policeman)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough on Crime (Unless You’re a Policeman)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/5284962.stm

A policeman who drove at 159mph on a motorway has been found guilty of dangerous driving ( I believe a criminal offence) and given an absolute discharge.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Not bad for a Vauxhall Vectra.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_
      Not bad for a Vauxhall Vectra.
      The Vauxhall Vectra is quite capable of those speeds (155mph) apart from some minor details.
      1. The headlights are not adequate for speeds of 100mph
      2. The braking system is in adequate.
      3. The suspension is not hopeless.
      4. All this adds up to a fast car with poor handling.

Death is a certainty but not an opportunity.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Form the beeb text

"the creme de la creme" of police drivers, had also driven at 131mph on a nearby A-road"

" policeman who drove at 159mph on a motorway has been found guilty of dangerous driving and given an absolute discharge"

I don't give a stuff how good a driver he was. If one of his tyres had blown at that speed he could have killed himself or anybody who happened to be in the way. Isn't that the sort of bolloxs the coppers would say to us if we were caught doing these speeds?

"District Judge Peter Wallis said the 38-year-old West Mercia Police officer had "suffered enough" with two-and-a-half years of court proceedings."

Nice one - Poor little lamb. I would have thought that traffic cops should be the ones who set an example to others. Dicking about in thier high powered up marked cop cars in the middle of the night is not really setting the example.

"The West Mercia Police Federation said they were "disappointed" with the guilty verdict and would lodge an appeal. "

On what grounds. How can this copper do somebody for doing 90 when he was caught doing over twice the speed limit.

"Pat Sullivan, prosecuting, admitted there had been some dispute over the speeds the camera had recorded but said it was accepted they were "broadly" accurate."

Oh so there is an element of inaccuracy in the speeds detected when its one of their own, but bang on accurate when it is somebody else.

"During the trial, Insp David McWilliam, based at Telford police station with Pc Milton, said the constable had told him he was experimenting with the Vauxhall Vectra as he had not driven it before. "

So he was actually dicking about in a car he wasn't used to.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
          Form the beeb text

"Pat Sullivan, prosecuting, admitted there had been some dispute over the speeds the camera had recorded but said it was accepted they were "broadly" accurate."
          Thank you Tony. That comment is so good I’m going to add that into my defence when I go to Court to defend my (alleged) 6 mph over the limit on a dual carriageway.

By the way, I got my analogue photos back today of the hidden signs. Much better than I expected. I’ll be surprised if the case is not dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
            Thank you Tony. That comment is so good I’m going to add that into my defence when I go to Court to defend my (alleged) 6 mph over the limit on a dual carriageway.

By the way, I got my analogue photos back today of the hidden signs. Much better than I expected. I’ll be surprised if the case is not dropped.

the only thing that is going to get dropped when you go to court are your trousers in anticipation of a judges fist

Comment

My ears are burning.

It amazes me people look down on car X as being slow, as put a big engine in any car and it will be fast. The police aren't stupid, they aren't going to buy 150mph cars with terrible handling/brakes etc.

The problem here is that the police/government are telling us speed is the only factor in road safety and it doesn't matter how skilled you are or how good your car is, and this case shows the completely the opposite. If being a good driver isn't a factor for us, it isn't a factor for the police either.

They do need to practice, but there are pleanty of test tracks or race tracks they can do it on, and they'll learn far more about high speed control than they would on the M54. They should send them to the Nurburgring for a week.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Bear in mind that police cars have upgraded suspension and brakes and are serviced very regulary to make sure that they are up to the job of chasing honest motorists who are doing 80 down a clear motorway.... erm i mean reckless teenage joyriders!!!

Comment

"Bear in mind that police cars have upgraded suspension and brakes and are serviced very regulary"

Agree entirely, but they can still have the monumental critical failure like a blow out. I'd imagine that a blowout at 159mph on the M54 in a vectra is going to be nasty. (or any car for that matter)
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

The Vectra is notoriously bad for handling, hence is a third of the cost of the equivalent Merc.

I remember when Hampshire Police made a big song and dance about getting the BMW six series. (I drove one in the wet in France, moved off from traffic lights slowly and it spun 360 degrees; nicely corrected may I add)

I noticed Hampshire Police racing around in there new six series. Within six months ten out of twelve had been written off and there was inquiry into the why so many had been written off on normal duties.

Comment

Working...
                    X