• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home extensions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home extensions

So, thinking of putting a 2 storey extension on rup towers. Never done one before; anyone got any pearls of wisdom to share?

Ta.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

I hope you get on with your neighbours. Otherwise they will try and stop you.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I hope you get on with your neighbours. Otherwise they will try and stop you.
      FTFY

Comment

Get on ok with the neighbours. Shouldn't have any issues with the planners (having spoken to a couple of architects)
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Avoid any builders with an Irish accent and any who also offer to tarmac your drive.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
            So, thinking of putting a 2 storey extension on rup towers. Never done one before; anyone got any pearls of wisdom to share?

Ta.
            Add bedrooms, increase the number of ensuite bathrooms. This adds value. Other stuff less so.

Comment

I'm in the process of getting one done myself.

No problem with neighbours but I've had structural engineers in & they've said I need to take out a couple of nearby trees & wait a year or so because the soil type is clay & it needs to shrink/settle or whatever. I could go down the route of having pilings put in & not wait all that time but it would cost £9k vs £2k if I wait to put in the normal trench foundations.

The other thing I've learned - & I don't know if this varies from authority to authority - but the permission is only valid for 3 years. That doesn't mean the work has to be completed in that time - once you've got the footings in you can take all the time you want. I've got permission for a 2 storey extension & a single storey garden room. I blow hot & cold on the latter so I'll probably get the main job done in a year's time once the trees are out, put the foundation in for the garden room and then finish it off at my leisure.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                I've had structural engineers in
                How much did that cost you & how did you find them?
                TIA
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Just a few thoughts:

1: Get someone to do a proper design (independent of the builder) & stick to it, it’s free to change the design when on paper: mid construction its expensive

2: Get full planning & stick to the approved design.

3: Pay for a project manager to manage it on your behalf

4: Sign up under a proper contract (JCT 2014 Minor Works) as a lump sum fixed not re-measurable& variable: include a retention & LAD clause with a detailed ER’s stating what materials & quality is expected.

5: Use a reputable builder: cheap now is expensive later

6: Check that the builders do get Building control in & sign off at the appropriate stages.
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Add bedrooms, increase the number of ensuite bathrooms. This adds value. Other stuff less so.
                    True about bedrooms with ensuites - but a large architect-designed top-of-the range kitchen-dining space with the best appliances also adds value in my experience.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X