• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy Birthday Mainframe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday Mainframe

Fifty today and still going strong.

I've worked on both a system 360 and an icl 1900. Yes, I'm that old.

Comment

One way to heat a room

Comment

Me too this year and 33 years in mainframes
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Youngsters... The first computer I used at uni. was a UNIVAC.
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

The "escape" key was a common way to exit from a menu system on a mainframe and the "SysRq" key on some keyboards also dates from that era of monolithic computing.
            Interesting.

Anyone know what the 'Break' key can be used for?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              Interesting.

Anyone know what the 'Break' key can be used for?
              Dunno but I remember that all the sysrq key did was freeze my terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                I've worked on both a system 360 and an icl 1900. Yes, I'm that old.
                My first job was as an operator on a 1900 running George 3.

Admittedly, it was on its way out, but being new I wasn't allowed to touch the expensive shiny VAX kit.

Comment

There's a linkedin group for ex-ICL bods, still a fair few around.

VME is still running for at least one government dept, although the mainframe has been replaced by a server.

Comment

Working...
                  X