• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drilling through rad pipe is not cool

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling through rad pipe is not cool

6 inches away from window. Great placement.

Managed to stop most of it leaking onto new flooring luckily and quickly managed to drain rads.
    Luckily, got home assistance so plumber was there within hours.

Only problem is he had to knock a big hole in the plaster to get to and repair pipe. Only had it decorated the week before. Mrs PC not happy.

Not sure how I could have known the pipe was there. Dont say stud detectors they're all crap.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Not sure how I could have known the pipe was there. Dont say stud detectors they're all crap.
    So you didn't even attempt to use one?
    They're not very accurate but they do tell you if something is in the vicinity.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      They're not very accurate if you leave it in the tool box
      ftfy

Comment

Wasn't the radiator a clue?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Stud detectors & pipe detectors are different things, you can get a combi unit & if used properly they can work well
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Mate of mine was getting his place renovated. So he hired some builders (nationality withheld in case some eastern Europeans are offended). They started digging out the floor. They failed to check where the water main was. And, you guessed it, smashed right through it.

Call up the water board - "we'll have someone out there in 10 days".

And there was the time I was bleeding the rads and I unscrewed the screw too much. Ping! 10 years later I still haven't found it. Had to shut off the mains for a day. Made me wonder why auto-bleed valves aren't available.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Look on the bright side, one of my mates drilled through a gas pipe.

<- very inadvisable under those circumstances.
              The smell must still be lingering...
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                Mate of mine was getting his place renovated. So he hired some builders (nationality withheld in case some eastern Europeans are offended). They started digging out the floor. They failed to check where the water main was. And, you guessed it, smashed right through it.
                Some of the tricksters lie about their nationality to get the job.

After all you aren't going to get the work if you are Ukrainian and probably illegal, but likely if you are Polish and known to be completely legal.

Though I've had Polish tradesmen work with other nationalities. They do tend to keep a very strict eye on them.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

6 inches away from window. Great placement.

Managed to stop most of it leaking onto new flooring luckily and quickly managed to drain rads.
                  Luckily, got home assistance so plumber was there within hours.
                  Why did it matter if you had to quickly drain rads? Just turn them off?

You're right. Stud detectors are crap at finding pipes. A pipe detector however....
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not tried it with water pipes but I use a 1960s portable AM radio to detect wires in the wall, works a treat.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X