• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poker rules. Verbal statements out of turn heads up...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poker rules. Verbal statements out of turn heads up...

Had an interesting night at poker last night and didn't see the outcome so wondering if any poker buffs can clarify..

Here's the situation. Cash table, about £400 in the pot, turn card comes and it's heads up with a regular against a pretty gobby drunk young lad. It's the regulars turn to play and he is thinking. Young lad then states 'If you put me all in I will fold'. They both have about £150 in front of them. The regular laughs, states 'All in', mucks his cards, reaches for the chips. The drunk lad also quickly calls 'All in' and turns over quads he got on the flop. Dealer states the regular as the winner. At this point all hell breaks loose with everyone shouting at each other, floor manager and two door staff turn up. The drunk guy as you can imagine is a tad het up.

They argue the rules and what was said for ages and eventually go away to listen to the recordings of the table and start asking exactly how much each has in his stack. At this point our table breaks down and due to the drunk lad kicking off we are asked to leave the area so never heard the outcome.

A verbal statement out of turn heads up in tournament play is binding I believe. Someone tells me even not heads up it is now binding but no one seems to know if that is true. There is also the argument the lad had more than the regular so he would only have had to call the all in so technically he hasn't been put all in.

Anyone got an opinion on what would have happened here?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

I predict that the young lad was taken out the back by the bouncers and given a good beating for being a gobby tulip

Comment

TL;DR

but it is gambling and a game of honour so what was said out of turn holds...

the gobtulipe only changed his mind after seeing the cards of the regular which were only shown because of his statement...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I believe that any statement made out of turn is binding not just in a one on one heads up. As the gobby one had made the statement "If you go all in I will fold" and the other player did not go all in then it becomes non-binding, but as he went all in he has to follow through on his actions.
        Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          TL;DR

but it is gambling and a game of honour so what was said out of turn holds...

the gobtulipe only changed his mind after seeing the cards of the regular which were only shown because of his statement...
          This (although I did read it)

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
            I believe that any statement made out of turn is binding not just in a one on one heads up. As the gobby one had made the statement "If you go all in I will fold" and the other player did not go all in then it becomes non-binding, but as he went all in he has to follow through on his actions.
            Surely he is either following through on his statement, or following through with his actions.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

The regular laughs, states 'All in', mucks his cards, reaches for the chips.
              The gobtulip didn't see the cards.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                The gobtulip didn't see the cards.
                regardless, cards left the regular's hands so meh....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

So no one had master bun the baker?

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Sounds like a question for Largest Live Poker Database - Poker Hendon Mob
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X