• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professionalism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professionalism

Looking at a typical NP2C post I think its time for a poll.

Is it professional to bin a contract for more money....
    Yes - I have no morals
    35.29%
    No - happy clients = more work
    52.94%
    I use AndyW as a sub to get binned
    11.76%
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Looking at a typical NP2C post I think its time for a poll.

Is it professional to bin a contract for more money....
    So where's the poll?
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
      So where's the poll?
      give me 30 seconds...

And its up....

Comment

There it is.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Just to be clear - are talking about putting in our notice? or just not renewing after say 3 months?

Comment

Professionalism

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
            Just to be clear - are talking about putting in our notice? or just not renewing after say 3 months?
            Putting in notice.

Not renewing is fine, bringing in a sub is fine, handing in notice or just not turning up not fine

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I voted for yes, but I disagree that it is Immoral.

I've done this in the past - The conversation goes, I'm sorry but I've had a much better offer from another client. I will be working for them full time after my notice is up.

I then offer to work for them out of hours, at home and at weekends. Some clients go for that, some don't. I can't see the non-morality of exercising contract terms and offering alternatives.

I would also say I seen more contracts tested to destruction by clients and agencies than I'll ever do. Many many examples.
              Despite the deliberate plot by Eek, I'd say I agree and disagree with that. It is always good to complete a contract but it is usually not good to bail mid contract. In some cases where work has dwindled it can work for both client and yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                Despite the deliberate plot by Eek, I'd say I agree and disagree with that. It is always good to complete a contract but it is usually not good to bail mid contract. In some cases where work has dwindled it can work for both client and yourself.
                This is no plot, I merely thought it was a question worthy of a poll.....

If it was a plot you would be part of the poll options....

Comment

I've never done it myself, and it depends what kind of project it is.

If it is a long contract that gets mired in politics, change requests etc, maybe eventually I would get bored and consider ditching it.

Comment

Rarely is it as straightforward as your poll suggests.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X