• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

erosion eating away at Britain's coastline

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

erosion eating away at Britain's coastline

Amazing pictures. The chunnel will need an extension soon...

The startling images that show the fast-paced erosion eating away at Britain's coastline - Home News - UK - The Independent
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Don't buy a house <10 miles from the sea on chalk cliffs?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Amazing pictures. The chunnel will need an extension soon...
      It's alright for you - The UK is slowly tilting on an North East - South West axis, with Scotland rising and England sinking.

From some interesting articles on coastal erosion :

The difference is due to the tilt of the United Kingdom, a legacy of movements from the last Ice Age. Southeast England is sinking into the waves and northwest Scotland is rising from them. It will not be just the rise in sea levels which will bring havoc to vulnerable areas. By 2050 government advisers predict that average summer temperatures will be above 77F (25C). Dry weather will increase cracks in clay cliffs, allowing more rainwater to penetrate. Winter rains are forecast to be 5 to 25 per cent heavier. Storm surges, able to overwhelm sea defences and undermine the base of cliffs, are also forecast. Exceedingly high tides, now seen once every 100 years, are likely to happen every decade. ...
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I assume the two blokes in the black and white picture got away in time?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          It's alright for you - The UK is slowly tilting on an North East - South West axis, with Scotland rising and England sinking.

From some interesting articles on coastal erosion :
          So I should sell my London property portfolio?

On property, can I buy something that is not a carpark in central London with 1-bed for £150k and let it for how much?

If you can £150k cash, what would you do with it?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X