• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web Dev question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Dev question

Hi

I've a virtual server running MySQL, and Scriptcase to write the PHP code with which I intend to create an interactive website with ecommerce, customer account logins etc...

The DB build, and process flows are coming along, but my knowledge gap is exposed when it comes to Web site front end.

What is the best web front end dev tools/language for a MySQL/PHP written database driven website? I will be pushing this out to a web dev person eventually, it would be nice to know if I'm starting with the right base.

TiA
    Charles

vi

Comment

I have almost fallen over the brink to the darkside (Apple), so I'll see your vi and raise you with sublime:
      Sublime Text: The text editor you'll fall in love with

Badger - front end dev is a mine-field, there is more to it than back-end work now But as stek said, a text editor will do fine at a basic level but there are other tools that can help you build it quicker.

Does your site need to be responsive? Is there a design for the site that you need to convert or is it a simple text and colours only interface at present?

To do the front end, bare minimum, you will need to learn HTML and CSS, loads of good books out there and templates you can rip off.

Comment

As Admin says HTML and CSS are a bare minimum but Javascript is pretty much essential for doing anything beyond static pages.

If the site needs to be responsive have a look at responsive frameworks like Bootstrap or ZURB Foundation.

For JS, jQuery is pretty much ubiquitous these days. To add some handy functions to JS look at something like Underscore.

If it's going to be a single page app rather than a website have a look at MVC/MVVM frameworks like Backbone, Angular, Knockout, Ember etc.

Tools:
        I second Admin's recommendation of Sublime Text. It's my editor of choice.
        Grunt is very useful for automating tasks like joining and compressing CSS and JS files, you can set it up to automatically refresh in the browser when you save a file, lots of cool stuff.
        Bower for package management, good for handling dependencies of external libraries and frameworks and controlling which version you're using.
        Yeoman - combines Grunt, Bower and Yo to scaffold a site very quickly

Comment

I use NetBeans myself and combine that with the mentioned designer tools, you've got yourself set.

Though I have become spoiled by Visual Studio - if only they could get rid of all the bugs.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Thanks for the comprehensive replies. Yes, the site will need to be responsive/tablet aware.

So with having the basics of MySQL + PHP (via Scriptcase) there shouldn't be any issues with plugging in the Scriptcase code with a nice front end?

Thanks
            Charles

Comment

Working...
            X