• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Improbable Highs When Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improbable Highs When Contracting

My favourite is the countdown to the last few days before your contract ends, and you've still heard nothing from agent/client. Maybe the renewal paperwork is stuck waiting for a signature. Perhaps they haven't realised your contract is almost up. Or maybe they've decided to bin you but the person responsible hasn't got round to speaking to you.

I love that exhilaration; that uncertainty. It's the contracting equivalent of jumping out of a plane, or preparing to escape from Stalag Luft III in 1944 - and all experienced while sitting behind a desk.

Perhaps it stirs the caveman in me. Suddenly I'm faced with the prospect of leaving my comfort zone to forage; to compete with others who are also battling to provide for their tribe, with that heady mix of adrenalin plus the thrill of impending unplanned time off coursing through my veins.

It reminds me a bit of paying a visit to the supermarket in the 1970s when the bakers were on strike.

Was at a bank who shall remain nameless, but which recently had a spell of unfortunate media interest in the recreational drug habits of one of its senior execs, and also bungled a project whose name rhymes with 'merde'. Anyhow a new IT Director came in and decided to make his mark by insisting that all contract renewals had to be personally reviewed and approved by him.

And he could only perform this vital task on a Wednesday.

And the paperwork had to be with him by the previous Wednesday, latest.

I'd been there about 2 years, coming to the end and was verbally offered another 4 weeks, which I accepted. Had a week in Menorca booked at the end of the contract.

Anyone guess where this is going? Yep, the holiday was enhanced by the uncertainty of whether I had a contract to go back to ... Lazing by the pool with a cold one, waiting for the agent to ring. Heady stuff, and the only circumstance under which the mobile remains switched on during les vacances.

Friendly advice - I'd get that caveman out of you, soon as. People are staring.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

The main reason I miss igoogle is the countdown widget that ticked off the seconds...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I do like the feeling of walking away on the last day. For a few brief hours I can pretend I am a man of independent means. A bit Simon Templer or Brett Sinclair or any other character played by Roger Moore.

Except for Ivanhoe, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
          Perhaps it stirs the caveman in me. Suddenly I'm faced with the prospect of leaving my comfort zone to forage; to compete with others who are also battling to provide for their tribe, with that heady mix of adrenalin plus the thrill of impending unplanned time off coursing through my veins.

?!??!?!?!?!
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Best days are:

1st day of contract
            Last day of contract
            1st day on bench
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I can't wait for my current gig to end - another 4 weeks to go. Then in an ideal world I'll have a month off and be back to a better gig.

There's a beach with my name on it!

Comment

I finish up here on Friday after 2 years 4 months.

Massively looking forward to finishing, have enjoyed it though, it's been a good role, decent tech (inc skilling up on some new stuff) and very easy going environment.

Off on holiday on Tuesday for a week, then will lounge about doing a mix of relaxing, hanging out with the missus and kids, bit of studying on some things I want to learn, get out on my bike, some DIY and then see where the next adventure takes me.

Comment

My very first contract finishes on Friday - there was never going to be any extension because it was a proper A -> B project and I came in ahead of schedule. Personally, I'm doing my damnedest to try and keep things going. Secured a second interview on Friday though, and I've just had a positive chat about another possibility, so we'll see.

It's too early for me to bench, yet - warchest is "emergency ready", but it's not where it should be for a holiday!
                  Last edited by vwdan; 9 April 2014, 15:12.

Comment

Best feeling is working for a client who you've reminded 50 times that the contract is coming to an end and they can't be arsed to sort an extension out and then getting another gig somewhere else starting the following monday.

And then telling the client thanks but you won't be renewing and then seeing the colour drain from their face when they realise you've got 3 days left in the office and they're screwed. And its their fault.

Not cool maybe but some clients deserve it. Never understood why some take so long to sort it out.

With me, offer me an extension 3 weeks to go and I'll probably take it, fanny about and I'll start looking elsewhere in case it doesnt come off.

Week to go - someone else offers me I'm off.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X