• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swears in blog posts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swears in blog posts

Do you think it's a good idea to keep the odd little swear out of a personal blog that might be found by a prospective client, or even used to advertise yourself to them?

My blog (generally technical/process related) is partly my own way to record ideas and understandings, partly to prevent me from having to repeat myself over an over again or to make it easier so I can link to it from somewhere else which doesn't have much screen space, and partly as a way to advertise myself (I know it can help a lot, especially with non-techies, to show that you might not just be a nine to five-er).

I want to write the way I'd naturally do so, because it represents myself honestly. But lets say I wrote something like "so and so has finally got his tulip sorted" instead of "so and so has finally got his stuff sorted" - do you reckon anyone would actually care? Or does it look unprofessional ?

I suppose the issue I have is that it's not meant to be a professional blog - but it might be helpful to me in professional situations.

I reckon it is unprofessional and pathetic, as if the author is trying to sound trendy West Coast Yank.

For a British author, it is the literary equivalent of pretentiously eating a main meal with just a fork.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

What is it with replacing the -ing with -s on internet posts?

I keep sees it everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I reckon it is unprofessional and pathetic, as if the author is trying to sound trendy West Coast Yank.

For a British author, it is the literary equivalent of pretentiously eating a main meal with just a fork.
        Oddly enough, I only ever use a knife in polite company, or if the situation REALLY needs it (like pork-chops).

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          What is it with replacing the -ing with -s on internet posts?

I keep sees it everywhere.
          It does sound quite lolspeaky doesn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            It does sound quite lolspeaky doesn't it.
            It gives me "Dem feels"

Maybe it's too much 9gag.

Comment

Swears == swear [word]s.
              Swearing == the act of enunciating a swear word.

One can't swear on a forum, but one CAN write swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                Swears == swear [word]s.
                Swearing == the act of enunciating a swear word.

One can't swear on a forum, but one CAN write swear words.
                I don't think the verb (to) swear necessarily has to be vocal. Also, using swear as a noun doesn't sound right to me, although I'm sure it is valid.

Maybe SpellingBee can help

Comment

If 'selfie' is in the dictionary, then it's only a matter of time until 'swears' (not the verb) is. I'm just ahead of my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    Maybe SpellingBee can help
                    Oh God, don't encourage him/her/it

All those dancing bananas make my head spin
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X