• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retirement villa in North West or North Spain near coast

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retirement villa in North West or North Spain near coast

A friend thinking of buying a retirement villa in Spain was asking about the best location.

As they like driving, hate flying, and would be regularly shuttling between Spain and the UK (Essex) I suggested they consider buying somewhere not far from Santander, because a regular car ferry sails between there and Poole. That way, at the cost of some time, they could knock several hundred miles from a monster car drive from the French coast through France to somewhere like Perpignon.

But studying a map of Spain, the coast north of Portugal round the North West tip, including such places as Vigo and Pontevedra looks pretty desolate, almost like the north west coast of Scotland if the lack of roads is any indication!

So I was wondering if somewhere near that coastline, or along the northern coastline towards Santander, would be such a desirable place to live. Or is it battered by Atlantic gales almost the whole time, and devoid of roads much larger than goat tracks wending through mountain passes so my friend would have to drive for an hour to reach the nearest corner shop?

Anyone with experience of the area care to comment?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

The first thing to consider is that it's the Atlannic and the weather can be inclement at any time of year as evidenced by the verdant landscape.

Asturias is my favourite region in Spain's North West. You have some lovely coastal places like Luarca and Tapia de Casariego and the spectacular Picos de Europa just inland with Gijon and Oviedo being the main cities.

I'd also consider east from Santander/Bilbao and being in/close to San Sebastian - lovely coastal city, with wonderful harbour, places to eat and drink and full of Basque Charm.

Beware though, I know a German family who moved to this area and found that they were surrounded by other people looking for the good life. In their words- mostly middle class quiche eating types with a penchant for erecting tipees in their gardens.

I think I'd rather have the sun on the Costas and tolerate the Chavs

Comment

I would look at something in like Costa Brava.
      Not too much of a drive from Santander, also near enough to an airport. Not everyone who wants to visit them will want to drive, also they really should be near an airport in case of an emergency.

Nice village by the sea, Sa Tuna or La Franc.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I like Costa Dorada. Close to two airports at Barcelona and Reus. Nice relaxed place to be I found.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
        X