• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Basic question: Umbrella or Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic question: Umbrella or Ltd

I am new to contracting and have heard about two possible avenues: umbrella and Ltd.

Are there other options as well?

My desire is simple: retain as much of my gross salary as possible.

I have read of schemes where you can retain as much as 90% of gross. Are these schemes legal?

Thanks

There is a thread not 4 below this discussing the merits of 90% schemes. Hell it's even in the title.

You are a crap sockie. 0/10 now bugger off.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And in the very remote possibility that you're not a crap sockie we will point and laugh at you when you come back whining that the HMRC are demanding their pound of flesh plus penalties and you discover that your scheme provider has closed up shop and done a runner.

And you can still bugger off...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Ltd.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Read the stickies and guides. If you are still unsure, go permie.

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
            go permie.
            FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
              Ltd.
              I'm sure there was a poster on here who offered some offshore scheme that returned over 110%. Think his name was Original Gangster or something similar. He hasn't posted for a while but I've no idea why.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyface View Post
                I am new to contracting and have heard about two possible avenues: umbrella and Ltd.

Are there other options as well?

My desire is simple: retain as much of my gross salary as possible.

I have read of schemes where you can retain as much as 90% of gross. Are these schemes legal?

Thanks
                Ltd will retain more of your income than an Umbrella will. Have a read of the Umbrella and Ltd guides on the right hand side of the page.

There is a number of threads on 90% schemes, the general consensus is avoid at all costs..

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
                  Ltd will retain more of your income than an Umbrella will. Have a read of the Umbrella and Ltd guides on the right hand side of the page.

There is a number of threads on 90% schemes, the general consensus is avoid at all costs..
                  +1 Ltd

As a contractor you will have complete control over your company and money

All money will be paid into your business bank account meaning it does not go through a third party.

For those deemed outside IR35 you can take advantage of the low salary/dividends method meaning less tax and NIC to pay

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiah@RJHAccountants View Post
                    +1 Ltd

As a contractor you will have complete control over your company and money
                    This is a not a good thing looking at some of the posts today.....
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X