• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract: Notice period information

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract: Notice period information

All contracting gurus out there,
    I am a permy turning contractor for the first time. I have recd. the contract now , my query is around the notice period by either parties. i have a 6-mth contract ,and my contract clause reads

Company Notice Period: 1 week probation, 1 month thereafter
    Employee Notice Period: May not give notice during probation, 4 weeks thereafter
    Probationary Period: 1 month

am i right in deducing that i can leave them before my contract expires by giving a month's notice period.?
    Thanks

Yep !

Comment

nope!
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

AndyW
        cheers , mate.
        although it was pretty evident reading the contract, i still wanted to double check.
        I also have a (tempting) permy offer in a more senior role that contract role, (agree the dough is lesser in permy roles but nevertheless), I am in 2 minds, and may go permy after 2-3 months into the contract (wicked of me to start the contract in the first place then, but that's me, and want some quick bucks before settling down nicely).

Comment

I would get your contract changed, you are going to be a company supplying services to another company, not an employee!!!

I wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest, just wait till the contract expires and find something else if you don't like it, or if you really don't want to do it down tools and slack around until they fire you (you never know you may get away with doing nothing for the whole six months \o/).

And you are correct 4 weeks notice one you have worked for them for a month (So the minimum time you can work if you are thinking of cutting and running is 2 months).

Comment

I am not too bothered about me being the umbrella co's employee , so wont bother getting the contract changed. i have pretty much made up my mind that i am looking only for 2 months and then take up the permy job.

I saw a post by EternalOptimist saying Nope....why is that so? can you elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by stalwart
              All contracting gurus out there,
              I am a permy turning contractor for the first time. I have recd. the contract now , my query is around the notice period by either parties. i have a 6-mth contract ,and my contract clause reads

Company Notice Period: 1 week probation, 1 month thereafter
              Employee Notice Period: May not give notice during probation, 4 weeks thereafter
              Probationary Period: 1 month

am i right in deducing that i can leave them before my contract expires by giving a month's notice period.?
              Thanks
              Non-reciprocal notice periods are generally regarded as a good thing wrt IR35, but since you're brollying that's not an issue. I would always insist on being able to walk after week 1, particularly if they have such a clause. It means if they are a bunch of lunatic crackheads you're not forced to stay for the duration. I have insisted on this in all contracts where I haven't needed an interview. You can give a months notice, but it's always best to back it up with a decent excuse (family reasons etc) rather than say you're off somewhere else for more money. It comes across as unprofessional, and the client (and possibly the agency) won't touch you again.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
              X