• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommendations on areas in London to buy a house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations on areas in London to buy a house

Now that I've started contracting, the idea of doing an MBA has been put on the backburner. I really want to buy a house in London. I'm in need of some help with which areas to buy, and how much I should spend.

I'm thinking of buying a 2-bed apartment for under £300k, which can be paid off within a few years of having a good rate. That said, if I could find a nice 4-bed (i.e. 3-bed plus office) house for under £450k, I would certainly be going for that instead.

I'm on a £600/day rate, and I have around £80k saved up so far - outgoings of around £1500 per month other than rent.

So, can anyone recommend a nice area to buy either a two bed flat for under £300k, or a 3/4-bed house for under £450k? Must be possible to commute into the square mile in under an hour, and Paddington in under 90 minutes. If you were in my position, how much would you spend on a house?

Enough to buy a new Sockie?
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Plenty of nice areas outside of London should still meet your budget.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

I'd try Zoopla and RightPrice, using the "2 miles from such and such" option.

If I was starting out again and wanting to be somewhere easily commutable to London, for work or in the evening, I'd be looking towards the end of the tube lines. For example, one can still find 2 or 3 bedroom places for under £350K in Amersham, which is a nice area. Not sure how long it takes to trundle all the way down the Bakerloo line from there to the city though.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

If I was starting out again and wanting to be somewhere easily commutable to London, for work or in the evening, I'd be looking towards the end of the tube lines. For example, one can still find 2 or 3 bedroom places for under £350K in
          £350k for a 2 x 1.5 hour commute each day.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What a cretin, I own a large house in London, made a fortune in BTLs, what a genius I was, got the whole 90s thing spot on, I earn a fortune and could pay cash blah blah blah
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              What a cretin, I own a large house in London, made a fortune in BTLs, what a genius I was, got the whole 90s thing spot on, I earn a fortune and could pay cash blah blah blah
              This^
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                £350k for a 2 x 1.5 hour commute each day.
                Well there is that, and maybe I was being rather optimistic on the commuting time.

But look on the bright side - At least you'd have a seat in the mornings!
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Well there is that, and maybe I was being rather optimistic on the commuting time.

But look on the bright side - At least you'd have a seat in the mornings!
                  On my occasional drop overs to the city you easily spot the commuters on the underground from the less obvious tourists. They have this 'please kill me, put me out my misery' look about them.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

If I was starting out again and wanting to be somewhere easily commutable to London, for work or in the evening, I'd be looking towards the end of the tube lines. For example, one can still find 2 or 3 bedroom places for under £350K in Amersham, which is a nice area. Not sure how long it takes to trundle all the way down the Bakerloo line from there to the city though.
                    1hour 10 minutes on the Metropolitan line used to be an hour (always late) now 1.10 usually on time...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X