• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ebay: wrong item shipped to me form US. anyone know about the returns procedure ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay: wrong item shipped to me form US. anyone know about the returns procedure ?

Via Ebay I ordered a large 30 inch PC monitor from the United States and I received the wrong monitor. I messaged the seller via Ebay and he replied promptly stating that he 'may' have sent me the wrong monitor and that he would check when he gets back home.

I've never been in this position before where an international seller has sent me the wrong item via ebay, so I'm wondering do any of you know what I should typically do right now ? Should I immediately open up a complaints tickets with Ebay and/or Paypal ? Should I return the item before he pays the refund or can I demand that he pays the refund upfront before I send it back ? Am I obliged to pay the postage for the item (its going to be around £80-£120 for a 16.5Kg item) or should I demand that he pay for it all ?

Reading around I've read that I have 14 days to return the item to him yet he has 30 days in which to pay me the refund If he doesn't pay up when the 30 days is up then I'm guessing I wouldn't have a leg to stand on if I hadn't opened up an official complain with Ebay beforehand.

Any advice is much appreciated. Its late on a Saturday night/Sunday morning (sad but true in front of PC writing this). I'll start reading up on this more tomorrow morning, I don't really need this. SBakoola down but not out.

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
    Via Ebay I ordered a large 30 inch PC monitor from the United States and I received the wrong monitor. I messaged the seller via Ebay and he replied promptly stating that he 'may' have sent me the wrong monitor and that he would check when he gets back home.

I've never been in this position before where an international seller has sent me the wrong item via ebay, so I'm wondering do any of you know what I should typically do right now ? Should I immediately open up a complaints tickets with Ebay and/or Paypal ? Should I return the item before he pays the refund or can I demand that he pays the refund upfront before I send it back ? Am I obliged to pay the postage for the item (its going to be around £80-£120 for a 16.5Kg item) or should I demand that he pay for it all ?

Reading around I've read that I have 14 days to return the item to him yet he has 30 days in which to pay me the refund If he doesn't pay up when the 30 days is up then I'm guessing I wouldn't have a leg to stand on if I hadn't opened up an official complain with Ebay beforehand.

Any advice is much appreciated. Its late on a Saturday night/Sunday morning (sad but true in front of PC writing this). I'll start reading up on this more tomorrow morning, I don't really need this. SBakoola down but not out.
    I would insist he pays return delivery fees. You should not be out of pocket. He may have a courier who can arrange pick and he may have an account(I always did)

No need to open a complaint yet, just wait for his response.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Oh, fine. Be helpful. If this was me .....
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Its a classic case of him being a muppet, he replied stating that he 'thinks' he may have sent the wrong monitor and that he'll verify when he gets back home. The one he erroneously sent me still has a live sale listing on ebay with 7 days to go. I will agree for him to send me the correct monitor and for him to pay the return delivery for the wrong monitor to the U.S. but I don't want to be in a situation where I send him the monitor 2 weeks go by, he receives it and then it transpires that he hasn't bothered shipping me the proper one, its now a question of trust on both sides of the pond, who will send the monitor first ? Dell has got the words DELL written in massive letters on the back and small at the front how the hell could he have missed that ? he sent me an inferior monitor so I am suspicious right now.

Comment

How much did you save?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            How much did you save?
            Not enough to make it worthwhile...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Cheers lads
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

This not help?

eBay UK : Money Back Guarantee
                Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                X