• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making money from the stupid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making money from the stupid

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5284618.stm

Spam messages that tout stocks and shares can have real effects on the markets, a study suggests.
    E-mails typically promote penny shares in the hope of convincing people to buy into a company to raise its price.

People who respond to the "pump and dump" scam can lose 8% of their investment in two days.

Conversely, the spammers who buy low-priced stock before sending the e-mails, typically see a return of between 4.9% and 6% when they sell.

The study recently published on the Social Science Research Network say their conclusions prove the hypothesis that spammers "buy low and spam high".

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

I did wonder why i was getting so many of these stock alerts - did not realise there was so much cash to be made from the foolish!
    my ferret is your ferret

Comment

did not realise there was so much cash to be made from the foolish
      Took a while for Gay Gordon to twig the same with IR35.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

In that case you could theoretically make some cash if you bought the second the e-mails started and then sold a day or so later yourself...

Not for the faint hearted though and you would also have to assume you were in the first mailing batch

Comment

It's been done better...

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Aww and I thought these were all real investment opportunities. Well there goes the pension.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
            X