• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shirt advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shirt advice

Now that I've hit 40 I decided to get back into shape and have been doing a bit of gym work. Problem is now I can't buy any shirts that fit me! I've got a black tie event coming up soon and when I buy a shirt by chest and neck size it invariably reaches my knees and bunches up and makes me look like a fat git.

What can I do to sort out this issue and still look like Daniel Craig in James Bond?

You need a tailored fit shirt, not sure what shops do them these days.

Men's Tailored Fit Solid No Iron Supima Pinpoint Buttondown Dress Shirt from Lands' End

But I am sure the guys in Savile Row could sort you out.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Now that I've hit 40 I decided to get back into shape and have been doing a bit of gym work. Problem is now I can't buy any shirts that fit me! I've got a black tie event coming up soon and when I buy a shirt by chest and neck size it invariably reaches my knees and bunches up and makes me look like a fat git.

What can I do to sort out this issue and still look like Daniel Craig in James Bond?
      FFS you are a contractor...go to a proper tailor and get something custom made!

HTH BIDI
      Join IPSE

Comment

Get them made. There are a couple of sites that allow you to have shirts made to your sizes and not at a bad price either. Have a look at the Debenhams offering...

http://www.debenhams.com/men/tailored-shirts

TM Lewin also do a good range of shirts. If you can find a decent sales guy he will explain. You can get a certain neck size with a couple of different fits and different lengths of sleeve. Many shirts say 16 neck and everything is measure of that so fits like a sack of spuds if you have a wide neck. You can get a tailored fit with shorter sleeve which would actually be about the same size as a normal fit 15.5.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Get them made. There are a couple of sites that allow you to have shirts made to your sizes and not at a bad price either. Have a look at the Debenhams offering...

http://www.debenhams.com/men/tailored-shirts

TM Lewin also do a good range of shirts. If you can find a decent sales guy he will explain. You can get a certain neck size with a couple of different fits and different lengths of sleeve. Many shirts say 16 neck and everything is measure of that so fits like a sack of spuds if you have a wide neck. You can get a tailored fit with shorter sleeve which would actually be about the same size as a normal fit 15.5.
          Thanks for the links, I have tried TM Lewin but didn't seek advice from the assistant.

Comment

Contractor shirts

Comment

You don't have to pay £300 or more per made to measure shirt in Jermyn Street.

I buy my made to measure shirts from Robert Old who are based in Bournemouth. I forget the exact amount, but last time a couple of years ago I paid less than £150 per shirt (although that was a discount for an order of ten). That was for Eton shirts, which I like because they can do those with a top pocket and a double cuff.

(I had a full set of measurements done by a guy in Harrods and flashed him £20 to give me a copy of the measurement sheet. So when I need some shirts I just email Robert Old with a scan of that.)
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

(I had a full set of measurements done by a guy in Harrods and flashed him to give me a copy of the measurement sheet.)

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

Comment

Long Sleeve Shirt
                    £6.00
                    Matalan

I believe Primark also do one for £5

Comment

Working...
                    X