• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Contracting

Hi

I am currently thinking of starting contracting, i have had 3 years experience in testing, SAP ISU and SQL.
    I just wanted advice on what kind of daily rates i could expect and what is the best way to get started.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

a) Three years isn't enough IMO
    b) The lack of effort put in to this post and researching your future career probably means you won't cut it.

Thanks...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Start with the fist timer's guides on the right ---->

Research your market on jobserve and other sites.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Start with the first timer's guides on the right ---->

Research your market on jobserve and other sites.

I think you've made a fist of that post... However, I'm not sure 3 years testing experience is enough. Personally I would aim for a permie promotion, and another couple of years on your CV then go for it...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

There is nothing wrong with MS's post.

If mayamiko bothers to do some research he may come to the same conclusion that was in your post....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            There is nothing wrong with MS's post.
            Except the spelling...

Comment

Whether three years is enough *experience* is one matter, whether it's long enough to have built up a bit of a war chest is another. I didn't go contracting until I had enough cash in the bank to survive several months without work. It took me more than three years to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by riffpie View Post
                Whether three years is enough *experience* is one matter, whether it's long enough to have built up a bit of a war chest is another. I didn't go contracting until I had enough cash in the bank to survive several months without work. It took me more than three years to get there.
                I went contracting with zero cash in the war chest knowing that if i couldnt find a gig i could easily get another permie job (although my employer said they have me back anyway).

Comment

It's not the experience that counts but the confidence. I'd be more worried that OP doesn't know what daily rate to expect.
                  <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    I went contracting with zero cash in the war chest knowing that if i couldnt find a gig i could easily get another permie job (although my employer said they have me back anyway).
                    +1 I did the same, sometimes one needs to take a risk, playing it safe means that you will most likely never take the plunge!

Comment

Working...
                    X