• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to enjoy the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to enjoy the bench

Has anyone tried spending bench time somewhere interesting? I don't mean take a fixed break before the next contract, I mean take off to a distant beach, and stay there until you get a contract?

Surely the next contract is as easy to find from Thailand as from the UK? So why not stay out there until it comes along?

But how to deal with the sneaking feeling that it never will come along unless you're keeping on the case (= stuck at home and not enjoying it)?

Can't answer your question, but I'd imagine this:

Surely the next contract is as easy to find from Thailand as from the UK?
    Is a false premise. Even if you go somewhere where the time difference isn't going to be difficult to deal with, what happens if someone wants you in for an interview? I had a telephone interview on Tuesday, face to face on Friday and we're sorting the paperwork today. Although they may have gone for a second phone interview, I felt it important to take the chance for a proper meeting.

Then again, depends how much time you don't mind being on the bench. Nothing to say you couldn't give it a shot for a while with a fixed date to come back and really start laying down the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Can't answer your question, but I'd imagine this:

Is a false premise. Even if you go somewhere where the time difference isn't going to be difficult to deal with, what happens if someone wants you in for an interview? I had a telephone interview on Tuesday, face to face on Friday and we're sorting the paperwork today. Although they may have gone for a second phone interview, I felt it important to take the chance for a proper meeting.

Then again, depends how much time you don't mind being on the bench. Nothing to say you couldn't give it a shot for a while with a fixed date to come back and really start laying down the effort.
      Appreciate your thoughts.

Personally I haven't had a face to face for 15 years: I usually work in NL-Germany-Switzerland, occasionally France, so it's not expected given that I'm UK-based.

The one thing that I would hate would be if I took e.g. 3 months away and didn't get a contract, then came back to put some effort into it, only to be benched at home instead, wishing I hadn't come back!

Comment

Working...
      X