• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who owns the Banksy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who owns the Banksy

So another Banksy ownership row kicks off.

BBC News - Banksy work: Row erupts over Bristol street art

The beauty of Banksy is that no-one owns it - it's public art (or vandalism, depending on your viewpoint). It was taking the snobbery out of art, putting it on the street where everyone could appreciate its humour, and sticking two fingers up at the authorities who, for a long time, insisted on removing his work. Now it's becoming a commodity to be "displayed" which seems to be what the artist was rebelling against.

Although it does seem that, by painting on plywood, the artist was inviting the preservation of it. Has Banksy sold out?

I knocked that up yesterday. I call it Charm.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

How can that be anything but theft? I can understand it being complex to determine who it belongs to (Though, I'd suspect the council as it would probably be deemed as gifted to them), but it sure as **** doesn't belong to the guy who took it off the wall.

Comment

If it's painted on someone else's property then it belongs to them and not the artist, quite simple really.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          If it's painted on someone else's property then it belongs to them and not the artist, quite simple really.
          So it belongs to the council then?
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            So it belongs to the council then?
            Yeah, that's what the beeb article is saying - the council is asking for it back now I expect Banksy will donate something to the club now - or hope he will. Nice publicity for him. Be nice to have him do something decent again, will help the value of the first set of prints that I bought for £29 each go up a bit higher as prices have drooped in recent years...

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              In this case he painted on plywood that he screwed to someone else's property.

If I chain my bike to the council's fence, does it belong to them?

Are the council as keen to own all the other graffiti in the city?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                In this case he painted on plywood that he screwed to someone else's property.

If I chain my bike to the council's fence, does it belong to them?

Are the council as keen to own all the other graffiti in the city?

Cheeky of that fatty to steal the artwork and try to make some money in the name of some boys club.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

And if he'd removed non-banksy graffiti - would that still be cheeky?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    And if he'd removed non-banksy graffiti - would that still be cheeky?

No, he can keep the any graffiti.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X