• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And its all due to the Scottish

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And its all due to the Scottish

Munich more tech than London!!!

Whatever happened to this 'tech city' or was it a roundabout in East London? All I ever hear are complaints about it, was it one of Boris'es and CMD's pie in the sky dreams or are there actual high-tech ideas coming out of it? I've worked in that area on and off for years and its always been pretty full of IT firms anyway as it was cheap yet still near to the city.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

UK hampered by its hatred of IT(e,g. IR35), outsourcing and allowing too many foreign coders in.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Munich more tech than London!!!

Whatever happened to this 'tech city' or was it a roundabout in East London? All I ever hear are complaints about it, was it one of Boris'es and CMD's pie in the sky dreams or are there actual high-tech ideas coming out of it? I've worked in that area on and off for years and its always been pretty full of IT firms anyway as it was cheap yet still near to the city.
      Reading that link it says London has more "business activity" but less "innovation", in a "study" done by the EU?
      What that tells me is that there are loads of hare-brained start-ups that aren't translating into real business in Munich. About 90% of tech-startups go bust anyway so you can have thousands of "innovative" companies which will disappear.
      What utter garbage.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Its actually a reasonably interesting report, its just the press only pick up on certain figures. Here's a few more and I've highlighted the important bit

Top performing regions

1st Tier
        1 Munchen, Kreisfreie Stadt
        2 Inner London - East
        3 Paris
        2nd Tier
        4 Karlsruhe, Stadtkreis
        5 Cambridgeshire CC
        6 Stockholms lan
        7 Darmstadt, Kreisfreie Stadt
        3rd Tier
        23 Munchen, Landkreis

Top performing regions according to the ICT Innovation CSI

1 Cambridgeshire CC
        2 Stockholms lan
        3 Munchen, Kreisfreie Stadt
        9 Inner London - East
        23 Darmstadt, Kreisfreie Stadt

Top performing regions according to the ICT Business CSI

1 Inner London - East
        2 Darmstadt, Kreisfreie Stadt
        3 Groot-Amsterdam
        4 Munchen, Kreisfreie Stadt

Top ranking regions according to Location of ICT firms indicator

1 Inner London - East
        2 Arr. Ieper
        3 Stockholms lan
        4 Cambridgeshire CC
        5 Milton Keynes
        6 Darmstadt, Kreisfreie Stadt
        7 Munchen, Kreisfreie Stadt

Top ranking regions according to Growth in ICT employment indicator

1 Grande Lisboa
        2 Rzeszowski
        3 Overig Groningen
        3 Southend-on-Sea

Top ranking regions according to Turnover by ICT firms indicator

1 Bonn, Kreisfreie Stadt
        2 Paris
        3 Karlsruhe, Stadtkreis
        4 Uusimaa
        5 Inner London - East
        6 Outer London - East and North East

Top ranking regions according to Number of new investments in the ICT sector indicator

1 Darmstadt, Kreisfreie Stadt
        2 Inner London - East
        3 Paris
        4 Belfast
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

It's a very real phenomenon, lots of stuff has been going on over there since the original dot com boom. It's very organic and hence sustainable and has a real buzz about it. Cmd and the rest were just jumping on a bandwagon to score some points, not really adding any value. Google, amazon etc get quite involved in the startup scene though, lots of talks and networking events.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            It's a very real phenomenon, lots of stuff has been going on over there since the original dot com boom. It's very organic and hence sustainable and has a real buzz about it. Cmd and the rest were just jumping on a bandwagon to score some points, not really adding any value. Google, amazon etc get quite involved in the startup scene though, lots of talks and networking events.
            WHS. I personally know of at least 1 tech millionaire (successfully sold his business and pocketed a cool £50 million odd) and another on the verge of doing so.
            My skills can't be packaged into a website or app unfortunately so I'll have to settle for my moderate success, sadly.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Thats what I thought. When you read the 'trade' media thats the impression that I get yet when you read the mainstream media they tell a slightly different story although I do know that some, not much though, is true. As I said, I've worked in this area and there has always been a healthy IT industry there and that CMD et al just used it to score some points. Although the area is close to the city I can't see why they didn't go for a greenfield site close to London yet cheaper for both startups and established firms and with the technology available there is surely no reason to have it in a large conurbation where the more influx of business you have pushes the prices of either settling your business there or remaining there.

Comment

Thats what I thought. When you read the 'trade' media thats the impression that I get yet when you read the mainstream media they tell a slightly different story although I do know that some, not much though, is true. As I said, I've worked in this area and there has always been a healthy IT industry there and that CMD et al just used it to score some points. Although the area is close to the city I can't see why they didn't go for a greenfield site close to London yet cheaper for both startups and established firms and with the technology available there is surely no reason to have it in a large conurbation where the more influx of business you have pushes the prices of either settling your business there or remaining there.
                It was never top down organised the way an out of town science park would need to be. Just a lot of different businesses making the same choices, partly cos it was a very trendy area, lots of bars, restaurants, stuff going on, it's a good place for a trendy entrepreneur to set up shop.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It was never top down organised the way an out of town science park would need to be. Just a lot of different businesses making the same choices, partly cos it was a very trendy area, lots of bars, restaurants, stuff going on, it's a good place for a trendy entrepreneur to set up shop.
                  So no actual innovation then, just hair-gelled types talking VCs out of money.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    So no actual innovation then, just hair-gelled types talking VCs out of money.
                    There is a fair amount of that, yes

Comment

Working...
                    X