• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold

‘I invested in gold three years ago and lost 70pc – should I sell?’ - Telegraph

I wonder how Milan is doing with his gold investments?

I've got bullion under the floorboards. The good thing about the physical is that although the spot price tanked, the premium on physical went up massively too.

It's still worth a bit less than I bought the bulk of it for, but it's a long term investment/zombie apocolypse hedge.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      I've got bullion under the floorboards..
      Ok, whose one is this?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Trouble is you'll have to turn it into shotgun slugs to cope with the zombies.
        Well actually it's silver bullion (will be getting gold in future as HMRC caught up with me for the VAT), so I've hedged my hedge in case of werewolf apocalypse instead.

Comment

Sure I read the other day that the next big crash is round the corner and gold is good.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I expect to see gold sub 1000 this year. Poss 850. Not short just at the moment.

I dont personally get the apocalypse hedge idea in general. If it gets to the point i t might be useful I think it is morr likely to be a liability instead of an asset.

in terms of selling on physical provenance will be an issue.

But at least ypu know it exists and isnt just a rehypothecated piece of paper. Removes the counter party risk which could be substantial I troubled times.

Comment

I need to join the CretinWatch here:

1) Investing in ETF is not investing in gold. ETF is for stupids. Rule no 1 of goldbugs: if You Can't Touch It, You Don't Own It.

2) How can you "lose 70%" if you haven't sold it? You only lose when you actually sell it at a loss.

3) In Asia physical gold is 20-25% more expensive than in the West.
              <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Always believe in your soul

Comment

Sell Gold and buy a house...
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 April 2014, 21:43.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                    3) In Asia physical gold is 20-25% more expensive than in the West.
                    i've not bothered looking at the charts in nearly a year, but for a couple of years previously, every single morning, without fail, they spot price would be X, and a few hours later when the market opened in the states the price would tank spectacularly - only to repeat the same nose-dive the very next day. Every day.

Comment

Working...
                    X