• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternatives to ebay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatives to ebay?

I've got some old hi-fi and furniture to sell, but I've never used ebay and am a bit intimidated by it if I'm honest.

Are there any alternatives to ebay that I can use? Something like the old Ad-mags that I've used in the past? What's Gumtree like?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

I use Preloved...
    Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I've got some old hi-fi and furniture to sell, but I've never used ebay and am a bit intimidated by it if I'm honest.

Are there any alternatives to ebay that I can use? Something like the old Ad-mags that I've used in the past? What's Gumtree like?
      Ebay.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Don't see what the issue is with Ebay - used it loads of times with no problems, Gumtree is full of scammers imho
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Are you cut out to sell tat online? Can't MF do it in his tat shop?

Gumtree, FridayAd etc etc are ok but expect calls. Lots of calls. Calls after you have sold the items. Night and day.

At least with ebay the auction ends. If you are selling lots of stuff consider getting a second SIM.

Local rag? Car booty (make a day of it?).

Seriously ebay is a piece of cake. Just beware of the commissions. Then set a reserve price and off you wobble. If Suity can do it ......
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Ebay is the best option imo. It's not what it was in the old days (I sold my first item, an old fridge, back in 99, so i've been doing it a while), it's become a lot more business / store focussed but there is still plenty of room for personal tat disposal and it's generally fairly easy and painless.

Gumtree is more like free ads, there is no process or security with it, you might as well stick a card up in the supermarket or an ad in the paper.

Do you have an eBay savvy friend who might help you out or even list stuff for you? There are services that do it as well but they do charge.
            Last edited by doodab; 19 April 2014, 09:35.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Seriously ebay is a piece of cake. Just beware of the commissions. Then set a reserve price and off you wobble. If Suity can do it ......

Okkkkkaaayyyy... <kicks heels in the dirt>

I'll try and get my ebay account unlocked and give it a go (I bought one thing off it years ago but crapped out my security settings and it locked me out.)
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

if you cannot use Ebay you must be a thicko.

HTH
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Sold my car on Gumtree, advert went up at 10pm on the Saturday, motor was gone (for 50 quid less than my asking price) by the next day at 6pm, very happy with the service.

Comment

GumTree is best for local stuff you want collected IMO but even then eBay is probably better.

You could still put an ad in your local classifieds though, such things are still around.

The one problem with eBay is you can't list it on other sites as well, you're breaking their T&Cs if you terminate the auction because you sold it through another channel.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X