• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wish I'd had one of these when my UPS cable popped out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I'd had one of these when my UPS cable popped out

Quail auto-locking cables

Last year I bought at 32 Terabyte NAS (a QNAP TS-879 Pro - highly recommended), and an UPS (Smart-UPS 1000). While dusting the shelf on which both stood, side by side, I thought it would be safe to slide the NAS gently sideways to dust beneath it while it was on (connected to the UPS by a short cable).

Bad Idea! The cable popped out, instantly cutting the power to the NAS, the very thing I planned to avoid by buying the effing UPS in the first place!

Worse still, when the cable popped out, the NAS abruptly lurched presumably at the very time the disk heads were retracting, and one disk (no more mercifully) was trashed !!

Luckily, as the NAS was running RAID, I was able to fit a replacement 4 Tbyte disk and recover all the data.

But anyway, an auto-locking cable would have avoided the whole thing.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Dusting?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Quail auto-locking cables

Last year I bought at 32 Terabyte NAS (a QNAP TS-879 Pro - highly recommended), and an UPS (Smart-UPS 1000). While dusting the shelf on which both stood, side by side, I thought it would be safe to slide the NAS gently sideways to dust beneath it while it was on (connected to the UPS by a short cable).

Bad Idea! The cable popped out, instantly cutting the power to the NAS, the very thing I planned to avoid by buying the effing UPS in the first place!

Worse still, when the cable popped out, the NAS abruptly lurched presumably at the very time the disk heads were retracting, and one disk (no more mercifully) was trashed !!

Luckily, as the NAS was running RAID, I was able to fit a replacement 4 Tbyte disk and recover all the data.

But anyway, an auto-locking cable would have avoided the whole thing.
      Before I bought a UPS, I was working from home office for 7 years for 3 clients and had a 4 server setup plugged into house mains. One day our cleaners plugged in an iron and blew the fuses. I lost two servers that cost me several days to get backup to speed, and lost a days worth of data.

Since then I have a separate ring main with RCD(?) for the office, a 3000AV UPS, Carbonite cloud backup and a 12 Tb NAS drive.

Oh, and now have moved all server stuff to cloud.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
        Before I bought a UPS, I was working from home office for 7 years for 3 clients and had a 4 server setup plugged into house mains. One day our cleaners plugged in an iron and blew the fuses. I lost two servers that cost me several days to get backup to speed, and lost a days worth of data.

Since then I have a separate ring main with RCD(?) for the office, a 3000AV UPS, Carbonite cloud backup and a 12 Tb NAS drive.

Can we skip to the interesting stuff. Where did you bury the cleaner?
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post

When I was at British Rail, long time ago, we had regular 7:30am outages on the signalling system in one of the boxes at Lime Street, turned out if was the cleaner unplugging the main server that controlled it for her hoover. Not only that, the 'server' was an 8086XT.....

Comment

Just been through the crap in my data centre/shed, in my attempts to find the perfect home NAS/SAN I've got;

1. QNAP TS-412, too slow, gave up with it, 29w

2. NEC SX1500 arrays - just for the disks really, used them on 3. below

3. Sun A5200 JBOD, built like a tank, 22 300GB FC-AL drives, obviously power hungry, 650w

4. IBM DS3400, EXP3000 and TS3310 got for free, not played with yet.

5. Sun T3+ fibre RAID array, small, light(ish) limit on LUN size

6. Apple Xserve RAID array, 10.5TB, along with the Xserve to control it, 400/500w

Leaning toward 6. at the moment, still a lot of juice, can remote power up/down, but to be honest I'm finding the lower powered QNAP Arms and such for me a bit slow to respond etc and frequent hangs on the GUI, and sometimes just can't ssh, needing a pressing of the tit.

You can tell my partner has been away for three weeks now can't you! Wonder if she's gonna come back? Actually the reason I've gone data-paranoid is because I lost her Hamburg pics from 2005.....

So, full TSM solution with storage pools on fibre SAN, 24-slot TS3310 tape backup with Crashplan is the bare minimum for me

Comment

Like this?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Like this?
                Yes, I meant to mention that, but wasn't sure what it was called. Power plug retaining clip?

I've half a mind to try and make a couple myself and glue them to the backs of my NAS and UPS.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Another minus for the QNAP, although it's had the red status light on for ages, it tells me all four disks are good, so I've migrated it all off, pulled out the 2tb disks for the Xserves, one is dead, won't even spin up.

This is what scares me about this commodity stuff, and therefore why I prefer cast-off enterprise stuff despite the power hit....

But I'm a geek!

Comment

Would this have happened with an apple time machine? Just asking like.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X