• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is your oddest coincidence?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your oddest coincidence?

I know coincidences are self selective. Considering all the billions of things we experience every day, they are no than probability in action, we remember such events and forget all the others. Still, they always seem weird even to us rationalists.

Coming back from a day out yesterday with my nice religious lady and we were talking about booze. I happened to mention I had just got a nice new bottle of vodka from some neighbours in return for lending them my scaffold tower and had not finished the sentence when the same neighbours drove by. This wasn't in or near our village, when seeing them would hardly be unusual, but in a minor road in a town.

Any stranger ones?
    Last edited by xoggoth; 20 April 2014, 10:08.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

MF once said something that made sense, and was quite helpful. It seemed strange, and on later investigations it was just a random series of key strokes made by him bashing his head on the keyboard.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I once did a project in South Korea and there were some Engineers in the same hotel from Birmingham, I went back to the UK for 6 months and got a job in Germany. I drove over and booked a hotel, and lo and behold the same group of Engineers from Birmingham were in the hotel restaurant.

That was weird.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        I know coincidences are self selective. Considering all the billions of things we experience every day, they are no than probability in action, we remember such events and forget all the others. Still, they always seem weird even to us rationalists.

Coming back from a day out yesterday with my nice religious lady and we were talking about booze. I happened to mention I had just got a nice new bottle of vodka from some neighbours in return for lending them my scaffold tower and had not finished the sentence when the same neighbours drove by. This wasn't in or near our village, when seeing them would hardly be unusual, but in a minor road in a town.

Any stranger ones?
        I was gonna post EXACTLY the same thing! Amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Any stranger ones?
          I worked as an I.T. Contractor in the UK for 20 years.

Then I found out there was a forum specifically for UK I.T. Contractors.

Could hardly believe it myself.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

I was on holiday with Mrs MF on a small obscure island in Thailand when over a few drinks she starts talking about her flatmates from University 10 years earlier. Whilst chatting away she looks further across the beach and there sitting down is the best friend of one of her flatmates from ten years earlier. We joined them for the next few days.

Weird.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I travelled to London the other day and there were people - how strange is that?

Comment

Many years ago I bought a car and two years later bought another for the then wife and the registration numbers were 2 digits apart, both Alfa's different models and not from same garage/location even when new.

Tried to sell 'em as his 'n' hers plates but no takers, market wasn't there then...

Comment

I had a massive row with my missus and said something along the lines of 'i hope i ******* die so you see how good you've had it'. The next day i went into hospital and 2 weeks or so later i was diagnosed with terminal cancer.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

The news regarding the ex-GF's daughter was rather distressing unfortunately.
                    She had scales & a dislike for diamonds?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X