• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancelling Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancelling Contract

Hi guys,

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section, but i'm after a bit of advice on cancelling a contract.

I'm coordinating services for a company, who, have provided me with architectural and structural drawings. All well and good, but i has become apparent that the two sets of drawings don't match up with each other, and none of the services fit anyway.

I'm losing so much money on this project it's unreal, i'm wanting to know if I go to the main client to cancel, will there be a legal comeback?

Cheers!

Originally posted by lee6673 View Post
    Hi guys,

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section, but i'm after a bit of advice on cancelling a contract.

I'm coordinating services for a company, who, have provided me with architectural and structural drawings. All well and good, but i has become apparent that the two sets of drawings don't match up with each other, and none of the services fit anyway.

I'm losing so much money on this project it's unreal, i'm wanting to know if I go to the main client to cancel, will there be a legal comeback?

Cheers!
    We're all IT contractors mate, but the stock answer is 'what does it say in the contract'?

Comment

Did you check they gave you the correct drawings?

Otherwise WTS

Comment

What do you think a contract is?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by lee6673 View Post
          If you breach the contract, then there might be legal comeback; if you don't breach the contract then there can't be.

So read the contract carefully and follow whatever that says about your rights to terminate the contract.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            If you breach the contract, then there might be legal comeback; if you don't breach the contract then there can't be.

So read the contract carefully and follow whatever that says about your rights to terminate the contract.
            WHS

And whose responsibility will it be to bleed the radiators?

Comment

This is a tough one, sounds like an Architect on fixed price.

If you are not responsible for the "mismatched" drawings then it isn't your problem. You just send them back to whoever is responsible and wait for them to fix them.

In a fixed price contract you are usually obliged to deliver and breach of that could lead to a damages claim.

You might consider handing over to another co. to get out of it. If it's really causing pain then go and see a lawyer.

I think you would be better continuing and put on a back burner, try and get other work and work on it when you can. That way you don't breach the contract, and blame everyone else for the delays.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
              X