• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Royal mail and the fall from something resembling a service.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal mail and the fall from something resembling a service.

Just off the phone in an attempt to set up my mail redirection.

It is beyond my comprehension how some people cling onto paid employment. The person on the other end of the phone could barely speak English (UK based). We spent close to 20-minutes just communicating my card details. Even still my UK address was a mystery. She could not understand the house number 54/1 and 54 were the same building.

The long and short the conversation should not have been 2-3 minutes. Instead it went to 30. Calling a service provider in the UK fills me with dread. And this is the industry sector that we're supposed to excel.

£198 for another 12 months. Actually it's £227, said the voice on the phone, price changed before the weekend. Got to be quick.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Oh, don't get me started.

I can't get over how they've made the once painless act of posting a letter so complicated. I've had several items not reach their intended recipients without them having to take a trip to their local office where the item is being held owing to my having neglected to have put on enough stamps.

Here's how it used to work. Anything you posted in an envelope was deemed to be a letter and, so long as its weight wasn't greater than a lump of lead of equivalent size you stuck on a first class stamp and popped it in the post.

Now there are letters and large letters, different weight limits and a whole scale of different charges. And if your letter is too thick they call it a parcel and you have to pay even more. HTF you're supposed to measure the thickness of a letter without a pair of calipers us beyond me. Similarly, the weights they specify are so small you need to borrow you local dealer's scales to make sure you're within the limits.

You know what? I just say f**k it and stick 2 first class stamps on just to make sure. Which is probably part of their business plan
    Last edited by Freaki Li Cuatre; 22 April 2014, 13:21.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Just off the phone in an attempt to set up my mail redirection.

It is beyond my comprehension how some people cling onto paid employment. The person on the other end of the phone could barely speak English (UK based). We spent close to 20-minutes just communicating my card details. Even still my UK address was a mystery. She could not understand the house number 54/1 and 54 were the same building.

The long and short the conversation should not have been 2-3 minutes. Instead it went to 30. Calling a service provider in the UK fills me with dread. And this is the industry sector that we're supposed to excel.

£198 for another 12 months. Actually it's £227, said the voice on the phone, price changed before the weekend. Got to be quick.
      Funny when we moved I set that up in 5 minutes online and it worked perfectly.
      Perhaps they couldn't understand your thick Scottish accent.
      Maybe you should have got someone competent to do it, rather than do it yourself?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Funny when we moved I set that up in 5 minutes online and it worked perfectly.
        Perhaps they couldn't understand your thick Scottish accent.
        Maybe you should have got someone competent to do it, rather than do it yourself?
        Try moving outside the UK you herbivore.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Try moving outside the UK you herbivore.
          No I'm successful here, I don't wish to be a second-class citizen, can't speak the language, billy-no-mates gasterbeiter.

HTH.

In any case is there no internet outside the UK? Well, well, I didn't know that.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            No I'm successful here, I don't wish to be a second-class citizen, can't speak the language, billy-no-mates gasterbeiter.

HTH.

In any case is there no internet outside the UK? Well, well, I didn't know that.

Back to my original post. How some people cling onto employment in the UK service sector is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
              Here's how it used to work. Anything you posted in an envelope was deemed to be a letter and, so long as its weight wasn't greater than a lump of lead of equivalent size you stuck on a first class stamp and popped it in the post.

Now there are letters and large letters, different weight limits and a whole scale of different charges. And if your letter is to thick they call it a parcel and you have to pay even more. HTF you're supposed to measure the thickness of a letter without a pair of calipers us beyond me. Similarly, the weights they specify are so small you need to borrow you local dealer's scales to make sure you're within the limits.

You know what? I just say f**k it and stick 2 first class stamps on just to make sure. Which is probably part of their business plan
              Yep, something else you can blame the EU for.

It's actually a dastardly plan to standardise postal charges throughout the EU.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

15 years since I moved and discovered that RM were completely unable to redirect mail despite having paid for the service and complained repeatedly. My complaints resulted in multiple reassurances, and them generously adding another 6 months non-redirection for free. We never got a single letter redirected. So not a new issue.

And don't get me started on Dairy Crest!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  15 years since I moved and discovered that RM were completely unable to redirect mail despite having paid for the service and complained repeatedly. My complaints resulted in multiple reassurances, and them generously adding another 6 months non-redirection for free. We never got a single letter redirected. So not a new issue.

And don't get me started on Dairy Crest!
                  Dairy Crest? You had your milk redirected too?!

Well, fair play if the milkman was unreliable where you moved to.

I had no idea one could do that.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I just don't understand

Why services at home suck so much.

Yes blame the EU for the regulations. We blame everybody because it could never be ourselves. Yet when I use Deutsche Post, who are bound by the same regulations, the service appears to work seamlessly.

If it's not BT, it's Royal Mail, or a power company.

Comment

Working...
                    X