• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Materialism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Materialism

It's a bit of a curse isn't it.

I seem to be obsessed with stuff. So much stuff.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It's a bit of a curse isn't it.

I seem to be obsessed with stuff. So much stuff.
    I don't care about stuff at all. I work to earn money to free me from the curse of work. I do accept that there may be an internal irony somewhere.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Declutter. Take up yoga.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I need to sort out my books to start with. I can probably give at least 200 of them to the charity shop.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

What shocks me is the stuff kids have these days. The amount of toys they have is incredible. And they still enjoying with the boxes the stuff comes in more than the stuff.

I had 2 TV channels going up - now they have hundreds+dvds+DS+wii+++

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            What shocks me is the stuff kids have these days. The amount of toys they have is incredible. And they still enjoying with the boxes the stuff comes in more than the stuff.

I had 2 TV channels going up - now they have hundreds+dvds+DS+wii+++
            Yeah, and youtube, a million different kinds of lego and god knows what. And yet they will still sit there and say "I'm bored" if you won't let them sit in front of the TV for yet another hour.

Comment

I think a lot of my problem is that there are lots of things I want to play with for a bit but I don't necessarily want to own. Like a 6x6 film camera. Or a lathe.

For some reason I'm obsessed with building newer more powerful computers as well. I have no idea why, the ones I have are plenty powerful enough for everything I do, but I can't help putting together a dual Xeon workstation in my head.

Perhaps I'm just bored.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                I don't care about stuff at all. I work to earn money to free me from the curse of work. I do accept that there may be an internal irony somewhere.
                Work isn't a curse. It's the source of real human happiness.

@Doodab
                There's nothing wrong with enjoying the material manifestations of your labour. That ability to mindfully labour and prosper (rather than just to survive) is what separates you from animals.
                Enjoy it.

Materialism is only bad when you hope to get happiness from the object, rather than from the pride in having produced it in the first place. I.e. when you hope to reverse cause & effect.

That's why lottery winners often don't find happiness in their new found wealth - they didn't earn it. They don't deserve it.

The ones that do have a great life after winning the lottery are the ones who deserve it - they would have been productive anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  There's nothing wrong with enjoying the material manifestations of your labour. That ability to mindfully labour and prosper (rather than just to survive) is what separates you from animals.
                  The trouble is I'm not enjoying them for some reason. I hardly use most of them.

I need more discipline in order to make myself play with my toys instead of farting about on CUK.

Comment

You can't take it with you, money or "stuff" so enjoy now however you can!
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X