• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Insurance Churn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Insurance Churn

I've just saved £300 on my car insurance by flipping from Admiral to Direct Line.

Which is kinda dumb because I was insured with Direct Line 2 years ago, but their renewal last year was too expensive.

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I've just saved £300 on my car insurance by flipping from Admiral to Direct Line.

Which is kinda dumb because I was insured with Direct Line 2 years ago, but their renewal last year was too expensive.

Me too, although not the same companies.

It's a ridiculous ritual. I suppose they rely on some people being too complacent to switch after the first year, especially with auto-renewal arrangements.

But it's so easy, and the amount saved often so large (as in your case), that it's a no brainer for even the thickest and bone laziest.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Once saved ££s by switching from Halifax to Esure both owned by HBOS both operating out of the same office! Cover exactly the same.
      Must be making a lot of money out of people who don't shop around.

Selling the same thing to different markets at differing prices a nifty yet common trick.

Comment

I've been driving for 7 years this year and haven't been with the same insurer for more than a year.

Although, that's set to change this year...I'm currently with esure and despite their ridiculous admin charges (£26 to change the car on my policy recently), they are currently coming in about 2nd or 3rd cheapest on comparison sites (approx. £420). However, they have quoted me an additional £150 on my premium to add my wife as a named driver when she passes her test. Whereas the cheapest premium on the comparison sites (about £320 with Allianz Your Cover) goes up by about £900 to add her as a named driver!

Of course, I haven't had my official renewal quote from esure yet - I'm expecting it next month. We'll see what that comes out as.

Comment

I've stuck with the same insurer for 2 or more years a couple of times. All I do is phone them at renewal time and say "You've just quoted me £X for renewal, but looking on whatevercomparisonsite I can get the same cover for £X/2. Will You match it?"

More often than not, they do.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            I've been driving for 7 years this year and haven't been with the same insurer for more than a year.

Although, that's set to change this year...I'm currently with esure and despite their ridiculous admin charges (£26 to change the car on my policy recently), they are currently coming in about 2nd or 3rd cheapest on comparison sites (approx. £420). However, they have quoted me an additional £150 on my premium to add my wife as a named driver when she passes her test. Whereas the cheapest premium on the comparison sites (about £320 with Allianz Your Cover) goes up by about £900 to add her as a named driver!

Of course, I haven't had my official renewal quote from esure yet - I'm expecting it next month. We'll see what that comes out as.
            I'd pull over and get a coffee.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              Although, that's set to change this year...I'm currently with esure and despite their ridiculous admin charges (£26 to change the car on my policy recently)
              Have you considered the reason you now have to pay ridiculous admin charges is everybody driving down premiums by use of price comparison websites?

Thanks to having a modified car I can't use price comparison websites; I'd need to phone up and give the same details over, over, and over again. And I generally CBA'd and have stuck with the same company for years as a result.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                I've stuck with the same insurer for 2 or more years a couple of times. All I do is phone them at renewal time and say "You've just quoted me £X for renewal, but looking on whatevercomparisonsite I can get the same cover for £X/2. Will You match it?"

mostly if you get a new quote from your own insurers website it will be cheaper than the renewal quote they send you. you can just ring em up and take the quote from their website if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post

I once tried that with Direct Line (when I was again insured with them, but several years ago). They told me "good luck" and made no attempt to match the premium. However, maybe I'll try that tactic again next year. When I phoned Admiral to ask them not to auto-renew, they said they could "go through the policy to see if we can save you some money". Horse ... Stable Door.

Comment

Comparison sites for me, for each car every year.....compare the best, then off to TCB/Quidco to see which is the winner...
                    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Working...
                    X