• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rise of the Salary Slave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rise of the Salary Slave

Rise of the 'super workers' who never take time off - Telegraph

A ‘super’ working class is emerging made up of well-educated rich people who work longer hours than the poor and who do not see leisure time as preferable to the office, research suggests.
    Oxford University has found that working hours for the rich have risen substantially since the 1960s.
    Economists claim that as better educated people more away from manual jobs, work has become more satisfying both intellectually and emotionally, meaning they don’t feel the need for as much time off.
    hmm
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Surely anybody who wants to be at work isn't any kind of slave.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Logic has never been vetran's (sic) strong point
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Next step: proposals on how to better tax this already heavily taxed group, to better fund institutions, like Oxford, which are purely tax-funded. Preferably served with a side dish of class warfare rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Isn't it the case that people work long hours because others work long hours so it becomes expected...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Isn't it the case that people work long hours because others work long hours so it becomes expected...

"Economists claim that as better educated people more away from manual jobs, work has become more satisfying both intellectually and emotionally, meaning they don’t feel the need for as much time off."

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              sort of my point, see it every day.

Obviously too complex for some people.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Comment

I was actually thinking about this when observing some senior managers where I work. I doubt this is really that much of a new thing. There's always been workaholics and people who enjoy working; I don't think it necessarily depends on the nature of the job. They probably make it more tolerable by making their work and social lives co-extensive. Personally, I prefer for there to be a separation between them.

Comment

Already clocked 11 hours for the day, not yet finished.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X