• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you have call centres in the UK? Oh yes..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have call centres in the UK? Oh yes..

Just noticed that the Churchill insurance ads, and also some others, are now marketing themsleves by effectively saying 'don't worry, when you call us, you wont be speaking to an indian'...

Sadly I don't think there will ever be adverts stating 'don't worry, our software was written in the UK, and your identity won't be stolen by our offshored development team'.

Still, interesting to see how maybe the backlash against outsourcing might be beginning... companies are obviously realising that many potential customers don't want to speak inglish (indian english).
    Vieze Oude Man

I don't even bother checking motor insurance rates with well known well marketed names like Churchill or Norwich - the kind of rip off rates they have make it completely irrelevant if their call center support is manned by the Royal Household with perfect Queen English.

Comment

Well that's a typical attitude from an economic migrant, Alexei!!

The rest of us all celebrate the Queen's birthday (gawd bless ya m'am), and would gladly sell our house and all it's contents to pay for another garden party at the Palace.

Shame on you, Alexei! You would not pass John Reid's citizenship test
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Well, I passed my test in March.

I don't mind paying premium for better service - but that's 10-20%, maybe 30% on a relatively small amount, but given how expensive insurance rates can be they can't expect to get high premium for just call centers - heck I did not call my insurance company during whole year, at least I am paying £550 for the priviledge with unknown company, rather than over £1000 for one of those big names advertised on TV: if you see ads on TV then products will have to be more expensive simply because of high cost of marketing.

Comment

Alexei, in certain respects I agree with you - I worked for Norwich Union and have friends there... much of the call centre work is outsourced to india, and development to wipro. They spent £350 million on a failed project called Wealth Management while I was there.

Prices for their products have of course, stayed the same, or increased.

Personally I do *try* to make decisions that are based on whether or not a company is really employing UK people or not - the difficulty is in finding out the information. For example, I currently bank with the CoOperative, and my understanding is they have not outsourced.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Yes I too would prefer money to stay within the UK - this way they will circulate more and more taxes to be paid (thus making it a bit less likely that more taxes will be needed), however in some cases businesses are grossly ineffective and the fact that they employ UK citizens is not enough in my view - those businesses normally waste money on stupid projects like you mentioned or big TV ads, something I don't want to subsidise.

What I find really ridiculous about car insurance is this - why the F\/CK price range for the same input parameters of me vary from £550 to over £2000? I mean actuaries who calculate risks will certainly have different formulaes, but not 4 bloody times! If it was £10 or £40, then fair enough, but £1500 quid difference per year on a small hatchback for pretty much doing nothing (I am low risk driver IMO), is taking the piss.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              those businesses normally waste money on stupid projects like you mentioned or big TV ads, something I don't want to subsidise.
              I partially agree... to my knowledge, the CoOperative bank has not advertised on TV, and they have a fairly strict 'ethical investment policy' - e.g. your money won't be used to finance some foreign war.

I am not against all marketing, but these days, talking to friends, and internet 'word of mouth' and research, has far more impact on me than TV advertising. I cannot think of anything I have bought directly due to advertising... and I do understand it is intended to be a subconcious influence. If anything, I tend to react against that.
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                much of the call centre work is outsourced to india, and development to wipro.

I currently bank with the CoOperative, and my understanding is they have not outsourced.
                Even more fun when you have tele conferences with Bangalore & Pune and you can't understand a word they say!!
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I remember calling Sky, in India of course, who then had to transfer me to their Scotish call centre, who were even more incomprehensible than the Indian call centre.

But I resent having to call anyone in this day and age. I needed a duplicate car insurance certificate out of AA insurance recently, but their online "request a duplicate insurance document service" was broken for weeks on end so I ended up spending hours in a telephone queue instead.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's a bit like calling the outsourced directory enquiries numbers...

"I want to know the number for aaaaa in Wooton Basset"

Silence for a few seconds...

"Please repeat"

Be prepared for a hefty phone bill.
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X