• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Entertainment at ClientCo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entertainment at ClientCo

Thinking this is too good for TPD so posting in General.

ClientCo is on a business park out side city centre, ClientCo has half the building, other half remains empty, not enough designated parking for everyone so we use the other half of the buildings spots, as you would.

Yesterday landlord taped off other parking spaces, leads to grumbles and lots of double and even triple parking, but blitz spirit and everything is kinda ok.

This morning Landlord has hired hi-vis guerrillas and have been turning people away from the car park, including two of the three SMT team

So I have an unexpected WFH day
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Also probably worth saying the office is right by a major motorway junction and very few people live anywhere near the office (a lot of people are jealous of my long but traffic free commute)...

There is a general air of annoyance in the office. As much aimed at cheapstake management rather than the landlord.

I was in at 8:20. Tomorrow I will have to skip visiting Morrisons on the way in and be here for 8..
    Last edited by eek; 23 April 2014, 09:57.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Are you guys at Cambridge?

Comment

The place I'm at now is much the same, there's a log-book by reception where you have to list who you've blocked in with your double or treble parking as well as your contact details, the general rule is that if you block someone in then you drop everything to move your car to let them out. It is handled with remarkably good grace by all staff except when you get people who refuse to fill in the book. I get in at 8:00-8:30 each day and the car park is nearly empty allowing me to choose the few spots that cannot be blocked in, mainly by the entrance way, almost exactly at 9:00 it becomes utterly insane in the car park with people just parking anywhere.

It's part of the idiot planning rules and developers who know that car parking spaces generate far less money for them than an extra bit of building.

A friend of mine rented a new build flat in Colchester once when he was there for a contract, it had one parking bay, shared with the neighbouring flat. The landlord made it clear that the space had a restriction on it that it was for visitors only because the build came with zero resident parking spaces because they were meant as commuter flats. Any overnight parking would immediately invalidate the lease and he'd be required to leave.

Near where I live there was a brand new sixth form college built to cover the whole of south Suffolk. It was built with only enough parking spaces for teachers who car share, despite the school's working patterns making that daft, and no parking at all for students. Considering the catchment area of the school is essentially rural Suffolk with typically rural non-existent public transport this becomes a problem. The teachers and students parked in all the neighbouring streets blocking the roads, the council retaliated by putting single yellow lines in. Now the kids and a decent proportion of teachers have to either be dropped off by someone else or take one of the convoluted routes to get by public transport or park even further out and walk.
        Last edited by craig1; 23 April 2014, 11:17. Reason: Fat fingered typo

Comment

Sandwich run is being organised to avoid people leaving.

Wouldn't be so bad if it was an apprentice doing it but the trustworthy ones are on holiday so its seniorish management instead..

Comment

Current client is a bit weird. Out of town estate but not enough parking. Client has got a car park next to building which fills up by about 8am. Its too much hassle to drive around for 10 mins and then have to drive out again cos its full.

Surrounding roads have some double yellow but a fair few no lines within 2 mins walk. So I just park there.

Had H&S induction. Told not allowed to park on road and had to use overflow 10-15 mins walk away.

Lets just say I ignore this and park where I want on the public road. Weird attitude though.

Surely even as a permie its a bit much for your employer to tell you where you can and can't park on a public road?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

We have very big underground carparks which do tend to get full at around 10'ish...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Current client is a bit weird. Out of town estate but not enough parking. Client has got a car park next to building which fills up by about 8am. Its too much hassle to drive around for 10 mins and then have to drive out again cos its full.

Surrounding roads have some double yellow but a fair few no lines within 2 mins walk. So I just park there.

Had H&S induction. Told not allowed to park on road and had to use overflow 10-15 mins walk away.

Lets just say I ignore this and park where I want on the public road. Weird attitude though.

Surely even as a permie its a bit much for your employer to tell you where you can and can't park on a public road?
                Management aren't telling you, Health and Safety are to simply cover management's arse..

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Management aren't telling you, Health and Safety are to simply cover management's arse..
                  You're right. They even offer a shuttle bus to the nearest bus stop becuase to get there you have to walk down a road with no pavements.

Personally, I'd have said that how employees/contractors get to work and where/how they park is up to them. If they get parking ticket/hit by bus its their fault not the companies.

I didnt argue with the guy after all like you said its his job but I just park where I like and no-one even knows.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working from home means the only trouble I have is parking my arse on the crapper in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                    X