• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Biking it for unfit overweight lumpers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biking it for unfit overweight lumpers

Pretty unfit and a bit overweight. Not ridden bike much for years.

Always wondered how feasible bike from train would ever be. I see google maps estimates things like 2.2 miles = 13 mins.

Seems a bit fast for me. Realistically, how long for someone whos a bit slow!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Depends on the terrain.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Pretty unfit and a bit overweight. Not ridden bike much for years.

Always wondered how feasible bike from train would ever be. I see google maps estimates things like 2.2 miles = 13 mins.

Seems a bit fast for me. Realistically, how long for someone whos a bit slow!
      when I first started 5 miles took me 45 minutes. It can vary a bit depending on traffic conditions. So I would allow 25 minutes (some time at each end for getting bike out & locking up).

Its now sub 30 minutes but I allow longer so I don't get sweaty.

Get yourself a big get stuffed D lock. the cable ones are worthless except as a secondary.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Why not try it and see...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Depends on the terrain.
          Assuming flat. I'd be fooked if there was ANY hill of any sort.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Why not try it and see...
            Just an idea at the moment..... Dont want to buy all the stuff and find out my expected 13 mins is actually 45 mins and I turn up like a sweaty hog.

Comment

I see google maps estimates things like 2.2 miles = 13 mins.
              You could run it in that time!

So long as it's relatively flat a 10mph average speed seems sensibly achievable even if you're a tad unfit. Maybe allow a little extra for traffic (lights) depending on your route, but get out there and try it!
              Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

If you want to just burn fat don't concern yourself with speed. Slow and gentle is far better on the body already under strain as it is burning fat.

Currently I spend an hour on the treadmill at 9kmph twice a week and that plenty for me to keep fat levels at bay.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Just an idea at the moment..... Dont want to buy all the stuff and find out my expected 13 mins is actually 45 mins and I turn up like a sweaty hog.
                  Seriously, that's joggable in 20 minutes - you should be looking at 15 mins or less easily.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Seriously, that's joggable in 20 minutes - you should be looking at 15 mins or less easily.
                    Seriously the wrong advice if you're expecting a positive reaction. Hope you're not a manger!
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X