• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sloping Shoulders at the Beeb

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sloping Shoulders at the Beeb

BBC News - Top Gear expresses regret for 'slope' remark in Burma special

One increasingly agrees with the bard of Avon, first kill all the lawyers.

This is rather interesting:

List of ethnic slurs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Common or garden words, such as "Spook", have meanings that are not readily apparent.

Well I never knew that.

Stone me, some of those are funny.

"Sheep shagger"

And much much less PC: "Smoked Irish".

Feck me, even the alphabet isn't safe:

ABC & ABCD.

Last edited by zeitghost; 4 June 2017, 18:12.

Must admit, I'd never heard the term in that context and the 'joke' went right over my head.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Must admit, I'd never heard the term in that context and the 'joke' went right over my head.
      Watch the Karate Kid trilogy...
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Watch the Karate Kid trilogy...
        Could I watch paint dry instead please?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Ditto

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Ditto
            +1

But I like learning new words.

Comment

It's another of those things that, when you think about it, make you wonder how it can be quite so offensive (especially in context of the stupid, unknown, attention-seeking, money-grubbing "actress" sueing, who isn't actually a "slope" herself).

Slope. Comes from slope-eyed. Comes from a description of the appearance of the eyes to be sloping at an angle, especially compared to caucasians. Is it better, worse or equal to Prince Phillip calling them slitty-eyed?

Not really different to me being called a whiteman based solely on my skin. in fact, since slope is a contraction on the phrase, it's more like me being called "white".

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                Not really different to me being called a whiteman based solely on my skin. in fact, since slope is a contraction on the phrase, it's more like me being called "white".
                Or is it more like using the word N**ger, since that is simply a contraction of Negro?
                Or maybe Paki, since that is simply a contraction of Pakistani?

FFS, where do we find these cretins
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Or is it more like using the word N**ger, since that is simply a contraction of Negro?
                  Or maybe Paki, since that is simply a contraction of Pakistani?

FFS, where do we find these cretins
                  Actually, not in the second case, it's not - my examples are of physical features, not the assumption that everyone with the appearance of a certain region is from the same place.

******, being a corruption of negro, meaning simply "black", as in skin, is closer, yes. The only reason it is seen as racist is because the pronunciation "******" is the corruption that was born in the US south during slavery. It was not a racist term so much, but because of the circumstances where it was used it became associated heavily with negativity. Nowadays, that negativity has made people call it racist. It's the same reason why it's OK for you to call someone "black", but not "negro". How the spanish speakers in America cope I don't know.

As you seem to have reacted with a knee-jerk PC attitude instead of using rational thought, I guess that makes you the cretin, cretin.

And yes, it's a corruption of the word, not a contraction, cretin.

Comment

This is all fine. Just don't call anyone a munter :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X