• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professionalism II

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professionalism II

Now then ....

In light of what RBS has just decided was a good commercial decision, what does the great and the good () on this forum now think of 'professionalism'?

(For those who don't know - RBS has given its contractors a take it or leave 10% rate cut)

If the clients behave like this - how should we? Should we send an email to the client/agency mid contract and demand a 10% uplift by the end of the week or we walk? Professional? Or good commercial decision?

This happens several times a year... why is THIS time different?

You can demand "a 10% raise or I walk" if you're happy for them to say "walk then", just as contractors are free to reject the client's terms and find other work.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
      Now then ....

In light of what RBS has just decided was a good commercial decision, what does the great and the good () on this forum now think of 'professionalism'?

(For those who don't know - RBS has given its contractors a take it or leave 10% rate cut)

If the clients behave like this - how should we? Should we send an email to the client/agency mid contract and demand a 10% uplift by the end of the week or we walk? Professional? Or good commercial decision?
      leave
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

IBM did this to their contractors in 2009 - In light of a downturn in blah blah blah, we are having to renegotiate our contracts with you (mid contract) and if you do not take a -15% cut, we'll let you go. I refused and 3 months later, was offered a renewal, which I refused.

Doesn't worry me, the moment they did it, I knew I'd be leaving when the next good gig came up and did; we're both businesses at the end of the day and both make decisions which we believe are in our best interests.

Comment

Professionalism is a two way thing. Once one side stops playing fair, its perfectly acceptable doing the same in reverse.

Personally I would be walking, at the very least I would be checking my notice period to ensure its short enough to allow me to find something and then walk.

And the next time I was approached to work there I would be using my unprofessional banking market rate (current market rate + 25% to offset the risk of them doing it in the future).
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
            Now then ....

RBS are treading a thin line. If a business signs a contract and then wants to modify the terms, or cancel it, then they can only do so if both parties agree.

The whole MOO "they can dump you anytime" argument is crap in this case - the same piece of work you agreed to is there, it's not a new piece of work that they are choosing to make available or not.

If they decide they don't want you to complete the work that they signed a contract for you to complete then they are in breach. Clearly there is a commercial loss to your business. Of course no contractor wants to spend the money fighting it, but they are liable, at bare minimum to pay for the notice period in your contract, potentially for the invoiceable value of the remainder of the contract. Good luck getting it though.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Professionalism is a two way thing. Once one side stops playing fair, its perfectly acceptable doing the same in reverse.
              I don't think that's true. You're professional because you're professional, not because the other party is.

Be who you are.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I don't think that's true. You're professional because you're professional, not because the other party is.

Be who you are.
                This.

Doesn't matter what they are like, you still have to have your standards. Although, giving them strictly the correct notice period, despite knowing you'll never be able to perform a proper handover in the time is fine too...

Comment

Reduce output 10% to compensate?
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Be who you are.
                    This is true, but you also have to consider this; the client is paying a premium to a contractor for the flexibility of being able to tell us to piss off much easier than his own personnel. Once that premium is gone, the contractor can walk if he wants; if every contractor simply accepts the lower rate then it's all to easy to do this kind of thing every month to every supplier and the whole concept of business contracts and deals is devalued. A deal has been done and both sides should stick to it.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X