• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bugger MOT expired a month ago!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bugger MOT expired a month ago!

Yes I know. I am a bellend...

Time to get it sorted asap I think.

So is the old thing where its said that insurance not valid true or is that an urban myth?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Yes I know. I am a bellend...

Time to get it sorted asap I think.

So is the old thing where its said that insurance not valid true or is that an urban myth?
    yep, your car would be deemed non roadworthy and hence worthless....

you can pay for text alerts when it becomes due. May I suggest you do that once the MOT is sorted...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Doesn't your car tell you? My one does, a couple of months beforehand it comes up with a little message on the dash each time I start it (it also does that for services, brakes, oil, etc.)
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

With regards to insurance - you'll still have had 3rd Party cover and so will have met the legal obligation to be insured. And having no MOT does not mean your car isn't road worthy, just like having one doesn't mean it is.

If this were the case, you'd not be able to drive a car without MOT to be MOT'd.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          yep, your car would be deemed non roadworthy and hence worthless....

you can pay for text alerts when it becomes due. May I suggest you do that once the MOT is sorted...
          Yes lesson learnt. £1.50 will be invested this time!

Hmm non-roadworthy not the same as no mot though. Wonder if ANYONE has had a claim turned down because of no mot but car is fine otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            With regards to insurance - you'll still have had 3rd Party cover and so will have met the legal obligation to be insured. And having no MOT does not mean your car isn't road worthy, just like having one doesn't mean it is.

If this were the case, you'd not be able to drive a car without MOT to be MOT'd.
            Just 3rd party? So no fully comp - bugger better be careful.

Comment

Pretty sure without a valid MOT you're only allowed to drive to pre-booked MOT test/retest and to garage for repairs.

Don't forget Cop cars have ANPR now that can read number plates and check MOT/insurance etc in seconds, doesn't take much to set a coppers spidey-senses tingling, have you seen 'Traffic Cops'!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Urban myth

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Pretty sure without a valid MOT you're only allowed to drive to pre-booked MOT test/retest and to garage for repairs.
                  This is correct, yeah - but driving with no MOT doesn't mean you're driving without insurance or aren't in a roadworthy condition. It just means you're driving without an MOT!

The fun bit is driving back from a test centre having failed an MOT - totally legal in MOT terms, but you could still be done under the construction and use regs etc. And the fact that you have a piece of paper telling you that your brakes aren't working properly (for example) isn't going to help your defence!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

Don't forget Cop cars have ANPR now that can read number plates and check MOT/insurance etc in seconds, doesn't take much to set a coppers spidey-senses tingling, have you seen 'Traffic Cops'!
                    Yes. PC, you will probably be pulled over and done. It happened to a 'friend' driving his wife's car when his wife had forgotten to renew her insurance. This 'friend' got 6 points.

If you can't get an MOT done before you need the car for work next, hire a car or take the train.
                    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working...
                    X