• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Backing Out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing Out

Anyone got any experience of backing out of a contract you've agreed to in principle but not actually signed up for?

Some fairly serious (familial) problems have come up, but the contract is due to start soon and they have already waited a full notice period.

Anyone got any ideas what the legal situation is in this case?

You've not signed anything. If you dont want it, you dont want. Simple.

Just tell them you've had another offer or you have family problems and cannot make it. They may whinge, but hey-ho - so what.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

IANAL but verbal agreement is as legally binding as signed contract: however if you have not actually started work then, perhaps, its okay to back out - in any case you need to act quick.

Comment

Ignore ATW he likes scaring people. I have never heard of someone being offered a job, accepting, then changing their mind and being sued.

It doesnt happen. It just doesnt happen.

Can you imagine, you agree to a new job, then say no, the agency sues you and forces you to go, you start your new job under duress and drop a turd on the MDs desk on your first week.

Oh purlease!!! Doesnt happen.(well the turd bit does!)

Comment

I am not saying it will happen - highly unlikely, I merely commented that your suggestion is not lawful in my view - its like getting stoned - illegal, but cops close eyes on it, yet it is still illegal.

In order to sue successfully they would have to prove they actually suffered actual losses, something not that easy to bluff in UK courts.

Comment

Scotty. Sschhhhhhhh! Zip It.

Comment

Did I mention also the contract is with CP? I've been reading about some of the horror stories concerning them on this site. On the other hand, I did get a good rate and managed to get the contract rewritten to the point where my accountant was reasonably happy it falls outside IR35. No notice period on my side though -- first time I've ever accepted such a thing.

Comment

I've backed out of a verbal agreement before from an agent. It doesn't hurt. They just get a little arsey.

In fact I'm actually on a cotnract through the same rep so obviously something went right
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by thefatalist
                  Did I mention also the contract is with CP? I've been reading about some of the horror stories concerning them on this site. On the other hand, I did get a good rate and managed to get the contract rewritten to the point where my accountant was reasonably happy it falls outside IR35. No notice period on my side though -- first time I've ever accepted such a thing.
                  Oh pay attention please - how many more times do I have to say it...

No notice on your side is A GOOD THING. If you can't hack it, go permie. Otherwise it demonstrates no MOO which is one of the three non-IR35 silver bullets.

And while we're on the subject, do not work with CP. Ever.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                    And while we're on the subject, do not work with CP. Ever.
                    That applies to the other agency with Computer in the name too...
                    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                    X