• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone see the TV prog last night about death row lawyers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone see the TV prog last night about death row lawyers?

Weird it was. Basically, about a team of lawyers and law students who work on trying to get people off death penalties in Texas.

One of the guys they managed it but one of them they failed and he got canned. Thing is though he was a Latino gang-banger who'd killed 4 women and there was no suggestion whatsoever that he was not guilty of this.

The young lady who was one of the student lawyers looked visibly upset and about to cry when it all failed and he got canned. Found this a bit weird.

Now, whatever you're views on the rights and wrongs of the death penalty, I must admit I didn't feel a huge amount of sympathy for the convicted guy. This guy was obviously a nutter who'd offed 4 women.

Seems to be a lot more people in the world to feel sorry for than getting upset whether nutters get canned or spend their life in prison.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Weird it was. Basically, about a team of lawyers and law students who work on trying to get people off death penalties in Texas.

One of the guys they managed it but one of them they failed and he got canned. Thing is though he was a Latino gang-banger who'd killed 4 women and there was no suggestion whatsoever that he was not guilty of this.

The young lady who was one of the student lawyers looked visibly upset and about to cry when it all failed and he got canned. Found this a bit weird.

Now, whatever you're views on the rights and wrongs of the death penalty, I must admit I didn't feel a huge amount of sympathy for the convicted guy. This guy was obviously a nutter who'd offed 4 women.

Seems to be a lot more people in the world to feel sorry for than getting upset whether nutters get canned or spend their life in prison.
    Presumably, if you think the death penalty is murder, you may be moved to want to stop it.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
      Presumably, if you think the death penalty is murder, you may be moved to want to stop it.
      Yeh I do. Just think if you're going to get upset about something then there are more suitable things in the world more deserving than murdering scumbags.

For instance, they were getting upset that it was upsetting for his family with no mention of the 4 families that were affected by him.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

With some of the inmates it's quite obvious why they're there and no doubt many people will think they deserve it, although there's an argument that letting them suffer behind bars for life would be more of a punishment, but with others I think it's more difficult.

My friend writes to a man on death row, and he's there because he was involved in a robbery where a policeman was shot and killed. They don't know it was him who fired the shot, in fact there seems more evidence that it was his mate, but he was convicted and sentenced to death just because he was there. In cases like that, I find it a little harsh.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Yeh I do. Just think if you're going to get upset about something then there are more suitable things in the world more deserving than murdering scumbags.

For instance, they were getting upset that it was upsetting for his family with no mention of the 4 families that were affected by him.
          People spend their lives on all sorts of odd things. Why do some people dedicate their lives to look after poorly hedgehogs when there are people starving in the world?

In this case, I think there is a political / philosophical (and sometimes religious) motivation. If you believe that the state does not have the right to take life as a judicial exercise, then it is an abuse of state power and should be stopped in all circumstances.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

There's no such thing as a victimless society and I'll people will always walk among us. SAS is living proof.

The death penalty allows ill people to exercise their belief of justice when in actual fact it changes very little. Countries with the highest murder rates continue to be those that operate capital punishment.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Whatever your views on the rights and wrongs of the death penalty, the constitution specifically prevents a cruel and unusual punishment.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Whatever your views on the rights and wrongs of the death penalty, the constitution specifically prevents a cruel and unusual punishment.
                Can a punishment be cruel or unusual?

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Lawyers acting for an offender are going to concentrate on the offender. A programme about that will focus on the offender.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                    Can a punishment be cruel or unusual?
                    Yes - some would argue that the death penalty is cruel (but is still allowed)
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X