• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Farage U-turn on expense audit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farage U-turn on expense audit

I wonder what he's hiding.

Nigel Farage changes position on audit of his MEP allowance spending | Politics | theguardian.com
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Spelling please:

Allowance, not expense. There's a remarkable difference. I have a letter from HMRC saying I can claim an allowance of £35 a day for food and associate costs if I stay away. I get that even if I don't spend it all. I am allowed to expense up to £25 a day from my client. So if I only spend £15, I can only claim £15.

So if I am getting an allowance for 10k a year from my client, I can claim all 10k, even if I don't use it.

You can see there's a difference, no?

Comment

Mind you, he could do what many other MEPs do in the interests of transparency and then maybe the press would drop this bollocks:

MEP Allowances - Alyn Smith

Keith Taylor MEP » Expenses & Allowances

Jean Lambert MEP pay and expenses

But I don't see anything on his website:

Nigel Farage MEP :: Sitemap
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

He is the bloke in the back of the limo on their campaign poster. That was always going to backfire that one.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I kind of like the fact he hates europe and is milking it. It's almost as though the piss take is ironic.

'Look, the EU is so stupid, they pay for me for stuff I don't have to buy/use'. It's an angle for him, surely....

Comment

Originally posted by SaltyLevels View Post
            I kind of like the fact he hates europe and is milking it. It's almost as though the piss take is ironic.

'Look, the EU is so stupid, they pay for me for stuff I don't have to buy/use'. It's an angle for him, surely....
            In which case he would be delighted to have an audit to prove his point.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
              In which case he would be delighted to have an audit to prove his point.
              Doesn't need to though, it's an allowance.

Fair play to him milking it as far as I am concerned, it merely underlines the farce that is the overbloated EU set up.

Comment

Mind you, as for employing his wife:

In general, MEPs can no longer have close relatives among their staff, though there is a transitional period for those who were employed in the previous term.
                And how often does he attend sittings:

The allowance is halved in the case of Members who, without due justification, do not attend half the number of plenary sittings in one parliamentary year (September to August).
                Travel isn't an allowance but expensed although there is an annual travel allowance but:

Reimbursement is made on the basis of the actual air fare or rail fare on presentation of the relevant travel vouchers and the requisite supporting documents.
                There is a daily allowance but:

Parliament pays a flat-rate allowance of €304 to cover accomodation and related cost for each day that MEPs are present on official business, provided that they sign a register to attest their presence. The allowance covers hotel bills, meals and all other expenses involved. The allowance is reduced by half if MEPs miss more than half the roll-call votes on days when plenary votes are held, even if they are present.

For meetings outside the EU, the allowance is €152 (again subject to signing a register) with hotel bills refunded separately
                So although some isn't actually checked, they still have to show proof in many cases.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The closing date has been and gone but who knows Darmstadt/Petergriffen/SpelingBee/Mos might be able to squeeze in at the last minute.

W4MP Jobs

This is a short-term consultancy contract until the end of May 2014, with an immediate start. Job share or part-time considered.

Are you a social media enthusiast? Do you engage on a variety of different social channels? We’re looking for someone creative and dynamic that has a natural flair for social media engagement. You will work closely with International Alert’s Communications and Europe Teams, and be responsible for running a short-term social media campaign (#EUnify) to counter racist and xenophobic discourse in the UK in the run-up to the European elections.
                  On the other hand...maybe not,

Skills required:
                  •Ability to create engaging and compelling written and visual content
                  Last edited by Flashman; 27 April 2014, 12:11.

Comment

The closing date has been and gone but who knows Darmstadt/Petergriffen/SpelingBee/Mos might be able to squeeze in at the last minute
                    I am all in favour of them applying. I think they have boosted UKIP popularity on CUK by several points in the last few weeks.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X