• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I Mad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I Mad?

Alongside my more normal question in the contract forum I want to ask more generally if I have taken leave of my senses...

I have spent the last ten years being permie and always thought about contracting but always shied away.

I really haven't enjoyed my last couple of permie jobs and am currently stuck with a long notice period.

I've done a reasonable amount of research about the various pros and cons and what I need to do and am feeling pretty close to deciding I want to give contracting a go. I have the skills to find a contract and am willing to travel if I need to.

I however need to put in my notice, wind down the clock a bit and look nearer the time.

Although I feel like I've done (most of) my due diligence and that everything should work out fine I can't shake the feeling that I'm being massively reckless and irresponsible! Quitting with nothing to go to. Madness!

I'm not sure there's a rational argument to convince me on this front but I'm looking for some reassurance from anyone who's been in a similar situation and made the transition.

A mate of mine gave up his comfy perm job to go contracting. Nine months later he's still looking for his first one...

Comment

Originally posted by Chervil View Post
      Alongside my more normal question in the contract forum I want to ask more generally if I have taken leave of my senses...

I have spent the last ten years being permie and always thought about contracting but always shied away.

I really haven't enjoyed my last couple of permie jobs and am currently stuck with a long notice period.

I've done a reasonable amount of research about the various pros and cons and what I need to do and am feeling pretty close to deciding I want to give contracting a go. I have the skills to find a contract and am willing to travel if I need to.

I however need to put in my notice, wind down the clock a bit and look nearer the time.

Although I feel like I've done (most of) my due diligence and that everything should work out fine I can't shake the feeling that I'm being massively reckless and irresponsible! Quitting with nothing to go to. Madness!

I'm not sure there's a rational argument to convince me on this front but I'm looking for some reassurance from anyone who's been in a similar situation and made the transition.

Start looking now and get a feel for the market. Put your CV out and see what sort of response you get back. You may even get lucky and find one thats willing to wait for a bit.

Be prepared to negotiate your notice period as well. Talk to your manager / HR and see if a deal can be done to let you go early. Forcing an employee to who doesn't want to be there to turn up anyway is not really going to be much good for them. You are not exactly going to be motivated to do very much are you.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

A long notice period gives you a long time to brush up, practise for tests, and generally polish yourself as much as possible.

What do you do?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          A long notice period gives you a long time to brush up, practise for tests, and generally polish yourself as much as possible.

What do you do?
          It's software development so there's likely plenty of useful things I can do given some time.

On the other comments above I have been looking around but 3 months is beyond impractical for looking for a contract. I have a good feel for the market now but it could change.

If I found someone willing to wait then great and I would try and negotiate my notice (I've always agreed compromise is good in these situations for all) but if I was offered something there'd be no guarantee I could get a shorter notice...

Comment

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

We have posters that pretend they're international jetsetters.
              We have posters that fly aircraft upside down with a plate of spaghetti on their lap.
              We have posters that time travel.
              We have posters that do double Iron Man events.
              We have posters that post tens of thousands of posts in the counting thread.
              We have posters that announce their loss of virginity at 40+ on an internet forum
              We have posters who think they are a lizard
              We have posters that are men pretending to be women, and (possibly) women pretending to be men.
              We have posters that regularly talk to themselves.
              We have posters that are convinced the end of the world is nigh.
              We have posters with every mental disorder on the books and a few that haven't yet been named.

I reckon you sound pretty sane.

Comment

I lick lizards for a living. So can you...
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  We have posters that pretend they're international jetsetters.
                  We have posters that fly aircraft upside down with a plate of spaghetti on their lap.
                  We have posters that time travel.
                  We have posters that do double Iron Man events.
                  We have posters that post tens of thousands of posts in the counting thread.
                  We have posters that announce their loss of virginity at 40+ on an internet forum
                  We have posters who think they are a lizard
                  We have posters that are men pretending to be women, and (possibly) women pretending to be men.
                  We have posters that regularly talk to themselves.
                  We have posters that are convinced the end of the world is nigh.
                  We have posters with every mental disorder on the books and a few that haven't yet been named.

I reckon you sound pretty sane.
                  Ooooh! Hark at her!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chervil View Post
                    It's software development so there's likely plenty of useful things I can do given some time.
                    Any specific technology.. Before giving notice to the current employer, I would give few interviews to test the water.. Don't fall for number of adverts for your skills you see on job sites.

Comment

Working...
                    X