• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shock as Keith Richards facing more drug troubles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock as Keith Richards facing more drug troubles

Richards is used to an occasional run-in with the police, most notably drug charges during the 60s and 70s, but his law-breaking days appeared to be behind him.

But the legendary rock band's guitarist is now being investigated by Glasgow city council after it received reports that he had broken Scotland's smoking ban.

Council officials confirmed yesterday they are to launch an inquiry to whether the Stones' axeman lit up on stage at Glasgow's Hampden Park last Friday night when the band played there in their Bigger Bang European tour.

A city spokesman said: "This has been brought to our attention and we will be looking into it. Glasgow city council takes its responsibility for enforcing the smoking ban very seriously." The law came into force in March and bans smoking in enclosed public places. Its aim is to reduce the health damage caused by second-hand tobacco smoke.

Environmental officers are responsible for enforcing the ban and inspections.
    Richards is one of rock's true hell-raisers and known for his consumption of stimulants including tobacco, but was recently in the news for an operation on his skull after falling from a tree in May, causing the legendary band to cancel some tour dates.

If found guilty of smoking, Richards would have to pay a £50 fine. The manager of any premises who allows others to smoke can also be fined £200.

The investigation by Glasgow comes after actor Mel Smith was prevented from lighting a cigar as part of a theatre show.

The comedian, playing Winston Churchill in a show at the Edinburgh Fringe, had threatened to ignore the law and light up during the performance. Instead the Smith and Jones star picked up the cigar and lighter props before putting them down again unused.

i saw him on friday evening at hampden - a good gig but he must have known about the ban surely? all very well being a rebel but has he ever seen someone dying from cancer?

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine
      i saw him on friday evening at hampden - a good gig but he must have known about the ban surely? all very well being a rebel but has he ever seen someone dying from cancer?
      Aye SP

I take your point ...

But as somebody once said ...

Time takes a cigarette
      Puts it in your mouth ...
      Oh no no
      Youre a Rock N Roll suicide ...

Comment

A stadium without a roof is not an "enclosed" public place. Looks like fascism has returned...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Absolutely Mordac.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

He should be beheaded. Youth of today and all that.

Comment

quite right mordy, didn't see that at first. damn the public services for trying to return us all to that damnably healthier state we existed in for umpteen thousands of years before the blessed inroduction of that sweet ambrosia about, what was it, 500 years ago?

Comment

You mean when we all died at the age of 14 because of wars/starvation etc? Don't get me wrong, I smoke, and I understand anyone who doesn't smoke and wants to avoid it like the plague, but a fecking stadium without a roof is not an enclosed public space, and that's the fecking end of it. One law on the statute books, one law for celebs (or is it Glasgow city councillors after a bit of free publicity?)
                Besides, if you don't smoke you should be banged up as a nasty tax-dodger.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

dying at 14 back then because of unavoidable disease, plague, famine etc doesn't excuse the wilful adoption of potentially fatal habits now. besides, hampden had, in vivid digital lettering, approx. 15 feet high, scrolling notices to the effect that smoking was not allowed with the stadium. the law notwithstanding, is it not within their remit to introduce such beneficial practices?

ja, i think as long as you have a shirt on your back these days, you could be banged up as "a nasty tax-dodger."

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                    Richards is used to an occasional run-in with the police, most notably drug charges during the 60s and 70s, but his law-breaking days appeared to be behind him.

But the legendary rock band's guitarist is now being investigated by Glasgow city council after it received reports that he had broken Scotland's smoking ban.

Council officials confirmed yesterday they are to launch an inquiry to whether the Stones' axeman lit up on stage at Glasgow's Hampden Park last Friday night when the band played there in their Bigger Bang European tour.

A city spokesman said: "This has been brought to our attention and we will be looking into it. Glasgow city council takes its responsibility for enforcing the smoking ban very seriously." The law came into force in March and bans smoking in enclosed public places. Its aim is to reduce the health damage caused by second-hand tobacco smoke.

Environmental officers are responsible for enforcing the ban and inspections.
                    Richards is one of rock's true hell-raisers and known for his consumption of stimulants including tobacco, but was recently in the news for an operation on his skull after falling from a tree in May, causing the legendary band to cancel some tour dates.

If found guilty of smoking, Richards would have to pay a £50 fine. The manager of any premises who allows others to smoke can also be fined £200.

The investigation by Glasgow comes after actor Mel Smith was prevented from lighting a cigar as part of a theatre show.

The comedian, playing Winston Churchill in a show at the Edinburgh Fringe, had threatened to ignore the law and light up during the performance. Instead the Smith and Jones star picked up the cigar and lighter props before putting them down again unused.
                    Old bast@ard. He must be injecting £200 worth of heroin a day not to seize this opportunity to appear in the media spotlight as Pete Dohorty did and make some money from his addiction.

Comment

Working...
                    X