• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Relocation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relocation

I'm thinking of relocating down south, where is a good place to live (outside London), that has lots of work, and not overly expensive living costs? There seems to be limited work up here.

France
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

In the UK.

Comment

Anywhere Thames Valley really. Avoid the large towns like Reading and Slough as there are loads of really nice little towns/villages that don't have such a high population of chavs.

Look at places like Wokingham (not Woking!!), Marlow, Bourne End, Aylesbury, Twyford etc etc
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Bangalore.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
            I'm thinking of relocating down south, where is a good place to live (outside London), that has lots of work, and not overly expensive living costs? There seems to be limited work up here.
            If you've got a financial services skills, look at Bristol/Swindon (but don't live in either!). Several big banking-type companies out here looking for people. Same applies in Defence work, if you have clearance. Rates are a bit down though.

Otherwise M3 or M4 corridors are the way to go if you have to move South. Stay away from the proper South-East unless you have serious wedge. Commuting into the City is doable (I do it from Bath fairly regularly) so you can live in civilisation and still get City money.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Stay where you are Northern Monkey. Nothing down here for you!
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
                Stay where you are Northern Monkey. Nothing down here for you!
                I'm already on my way, on the M6 as I speak, can't wait to take all the London jobs from you!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                  Anywhere Thames Valley really. Avoid the large towns like Reading and Slough as there are loads of really nice little towns/villages that don't have such a high population of chavs.

Look at places like Wokingham (not Woking!!), Marlow, Bourne End, Aylesbury, Twyford etc etc
                  None of which will be cheap.

I live in the Thames Valley, well nearly, and so far the contract jobs I've had have been in Southampton and Bristol, and the best leads I've had for jobs I didn't get were in Cambridge. I'm beginning to think the Thames Valley thing is a bit of a myth.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I would probably rent till I get things sorted then hopefuly get a house for around 250k

Comment

Working...
                    X