• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UKIP again!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UKIP again!

BBC News - UKIP candidate William Henwood defends Lenny Henry tweet

Am I allowed to say that William Henwood should move to a racist country? Or would that make me UKIPist?

Though I am interested if Lenny Henry has any proof that creative industries are racist.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    BBC News - UKIP candidate William Henwood defends Lenny Henry tweet

Am I allowed to say that William Henwood should move to a racist country? Or would that make me UKIPist?

Though I am interested if Lenny Henry has any proof that creative industries are racist.
    Hope all good with you BP. What a quandry!! Yes, Henwood should eff off back where he came from. Lenny Henry is British, he comes from Dudley FFS, poor bugger. He is certainly more British than the idiot that UKIP have now kicked out. Sorry BP but agreeing with UKIP on their stance certainly does make you a supporter.

I doubt if LH has proof that the creative industries are racist but I have proof that he really isn't that funny and that may be a reason that he didn't do as well as he thinks he should have done.

20 years ago it was a different place though, Jim Davidson doing Chalky White jokes on prime-time TV etc. Give it another 20 years and I really don't think someone's colour or creed will hamper them in the same way it may have done 20 years ago. So LH is probably partly right. But I still reserve my right to call him as funny as a kick in the knackers.

Comment

Considering they are only supposed to be 3% of the population, I'd say that Blacks are greatly overrepresented on TV. Think Asians have more of a case.

How much is due to discrimination I'm not so sure. It's just from observation but there does seem to be such a thing as racial preferences and strengths. When it comes to professions, blacks do ok in people things like acting, law, administration while Asians are more likely to be doing technical stuff like IT and engineering. Makes practical sense to get UK citizens into jobs of some sort but does it make sense to demand a quota in every single occupation?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Considering they are only supposed to be 3% of the population, I'd say that Blacks are greatly overrepresented on TV. Think Asians have more of a case.

How much is due to discrimination I'm not so sure. It's just from observation but there does seem to be such a thing as racial preferences and strengths. When it comes to professions, blacks do ok in people things like acting, law, administration while Asians are more likely to be doing technical stuff like IT and engineering. Makes practical sense to get UK citizens into jobs of some sort but does it make sense to demand a quota in every single occupation?
        Well it depends what you think the reasons for those different strengths are. If you think that environmental factors make someone less likely to succeed in a certain profession, should you be looking at the wider picture to see how things can be to make those professions more accessible to all? I don't believe there is any inherent reason why an asian person should be less suited to acting, or a black person to engineering, so what are the factors that close those professions (if indeed that is the case)?

Comment

It's usual to blame everything on discrimination but it simply does not explain some things. Black, Asian, Muslim etc. are very blanket descriptions - when you look in more detail you find big variations in performance between people from different nations, between people from different parts of the same nation and even between people from the same place who live in different parts of the UK. I doubt racists are asking what part of Pakistan a job applicant comes from before deciding whether to reject them, it's more to do with the education, culture and willingness, or necessity, to integrate.
          bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Maybe he meant that LH should move to Wolverhampton:
            Black Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Hard to found what LH said now as search brings up UKIP comments but some is plain daft. "You "rarely see a black face in high-end British dramas and comedies such as ITV's Downton Abbey" How can a posh period drama show an ethnic face, except rarely, and be remotely accurate or believable?

When comparing like with like we should aim for equality but we are not. HR's ideas of legally imposed quotas ignores an important fact, that blacks have significantly lower educational achievement in the UK. There are problems in that group which are nothing to do with white racism, the 3x higher rate of Afro-Caribbean kids who grow up without knowing their fathers is probably one of them. And can we really say the low achievements of this group are totally unrelated to the very low performance of independent black nations generally? What's the excuse there?

Of course we must not mention things like that, even though we can bang on about lazy whites as much as we like. Whites can also be blamed for anything and nobody calls it racist, while ordinary people worried about immigration are xenophobes. While anyone standing for a political party should be more careful of their language, I think many will sympathise with resentment of the one sided nature of "debate" on the issue.

It is because people are so used to this nonsense that things like this will have very little impact on UKIP's popularity.
              bloggoth

Comment

I am in favour of moving Lenny Henry to an unfunny country.

Comment

Controlling the media agenda

I think certain people would rather shift the argument to the rights and wrongs of Lenny Henry and some tw*t on twitter. Rather than discussing the merits or otherwise of the European Union.

Comment

Working...
                  X