• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting driving license - difficulty, cost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting driving license - difficulty, cost

Hi
    Provided that I have a Sri Lanka driving licence since 2006 and I am a really good driver, how difficult would it be to get a UK license? How much would it cost? How difficult would the theory and practical tests be? Is there any one who has done the same?

Thanks

Originally posted by suspension View Post
    Hi
    Provided that I have a Sri Lanka driving licence since 2006 and I am a really good driver, how difficult would it be to get a UK license? How much would it cost? How difficult would the theory and practical tests be? Is there any one who has done the same?

Thanks
    £500 and I can get you one, PM me
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Sri Lanka is left-hand driving, so you are used to it, which is good. The theory test costs £30. You can download an app and keep doing the questions, repeating them, until you get 90% or more. There are good apps for that. Don't forget the hazard perception test, which is part of the theory test, there are also apps for that. For the practical test, you can perhaps take 5 lessons and try it. Each lesson costs around £20.

Comment

Hi

Thanks
        Driving the doings between the cones is much more wiggly than in Sri Lanka. I found plenty quickness is frond upon. Much lowness is better.

Last edited by Paddy; 27 April 2014, 20:41.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Hi

Thanks
          Hi Chetty

Why not get some practice on the Magic Roundabout?

You are still in Swindon aren't you?

Send my regards to your good lady wife while we're at it.

Comment

Hi
            Provided that I have a Sri Lanka driving licence since 2006 and I am a really good driver,
            Does not compute......
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Hi

Thanks
              Hope your not driving on it now - you're only allowed a year before having to take a UK test.

Comment

It's not that hard, assuming you don't have a lot of bad habits you need to lose, which like most experienced drivers you probably do.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I know it's not quite comparable, but it took me 10 hours of motorcycle training to pass my test, having been a driver for 10 years. I wouldn't expect anyone who can drive a car to need more than 3 - 5 hours of instruction to get to a passing standard. That shouldn't much more than £130 or so.

The theory test is easy and you have 2 years to pass your test afterwards, so my advice is get that one checked off. It's £31 and there are plenty of apps with the actual questions on, so you just need to practice and practice. The tricky portion is Hazard Perception - it's not a difficult concept, but you have to find what they're after. The AA do some nice practice software.

And finally, the actual test is £62 or £75 (plus your driving instructors fee).

So, realistically, you should be able to get this sorted for £250. You'll need to get your provisional license sorted first, before anything, though and that's a couple of quid, too.

It can be easier said than done to remove bad habits, though - so you'll need to engage your brain. And listen to your instructor - they know exactly what is being looked for - people will insist on giving you all sorts of 'advice' and 'tips' on the actual driving, but just stick to a reputable instructor and listen solely to them. The test has changed a lot over the years and things that were recommended at one time will now you see you failing (E.g., overuse of engine braking would be a good example)
                  Last edited by vwdan; 28 April 2014, 12:32.

Comment

Theory test is quite easy once you'v read the book and done the practise tests - plenty of websites and I think even the DVLA has a practise site.

Hazard perception was quite hard - I only Just passed it. You can't just click like made. You have to look way forward and click just the once as soon as you see some potential hazard - clicking by the time the hazard has happened is toooo late.

Practical - any experience driver just needs to learn what the examiner is looking for and the required elements - emergency brake etc.

So book your theory test now. pass it. than book the practical test - its about a 6 week wait. and book some lessons two weeks before and you'll be sorted.

Now...getting insured will be painful. But if you show any insurance or driving experience from Sri Lanka I suppose it might help to bring the premium down - but I found as soon as you declare you are a foreigner - the premium is about 10% higher.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X