• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

East European immigration: Right figures, wrong country?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East European immigration: Right figures, wrong country?

Just to cheer everyone up, I thought you'd like to know the UK isn't the only place with a huge influx of east europeans. A front-page article in one of the Belgium newspapers claims the numbers registered in Belgium have almost doubled in the last two years...

...an increase of just over 13,000.

Perhaps Blair and his friends were thinking of Brussels when they came up with the figures.

Just come back from Ireland. About 10% of the population there is immigrant too. About 20% of their first time house buyers are non-nationals (Brits less than 20% of that) and house prices are rocketing as they are here.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Black, did not they kick you out from Belgium?

Comment

Belgium's on the way to Britain...
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

So they will set up a legal equivalent of Sangatte?

Signs in Polish saying 'El Dorado - this way' will soon sping up in our neighbouring countries.

Why can't we just allow Czech and Hungarian women to join the EU? Makes far more sense if we are worried about a falling birthrate....
          Last edited by mcquiggd; 28 August 2006, 15:29.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

polish motors - seen a few around have you?

no road tax, no mot (the ones i've seen arent roadworthy just on a visual inspection), and are the f**ckers insured , possibly not eh

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              Black, did not they kick you out from Belgium?
              No, not yet, though it's meant to be technically illegal in any case...would that stop them, who knows?
              Last edited by Joe Black; 29 August 2006, 06:27. Reason: legality

Comment

They have no rights to do it - if they have such laws then they are incompatible with EU ones, so stay firm and if they do anything to you, then you will have good chance to sue for loss of revenues etc.

Comment

Hmm, since I've been here I've sort of learnt that the phrase "incompatible with EU law" is something which is interpreted very differently between member states.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Bear in mind this is all in that paper of record, the South Wales Evening Post, so it's probly a load of bollow.
                    No reason not to pass on a good story!

Comment

Working...
                    X