• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My MIL thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My MIL thread

I didn't want to be left out, so here goes;

Having tolerated the family dinner a couple of weeks ago and avoided discussions with the sister in law with the gigantic chip on her shoulder, after Lady Tester renegotiated the location with her mother to find a semi-decent restaurant, the MIL whining has begun. MIL said to Lady Tester on the phone that in the past she didn't care what sort of restaurant we visited, so why does she want something smarter nowadays, and why is she always wearing smart clothes when she wore old crap in the past? Is it because of that MTT?

I have supposedly 'changed' MIL's daughter from the simple farm girl they (thought they'd) raised into a posh and rather fussy person who's always better dressed than the rest of the family. Deary me, what a whinge. As long as I've known Lady Tester, she's always been quite stylish (yes, even in our grungey metalhead youth kind of way) but now, seeing as we're making a bit more money than when we met, she quite likes visiting various boutiques and buying shoes and dresses, as many ladies do. We've also always liked good food and a bottle or three of fermented grape juice, but no, now I've changed the girl.

Strange also that I and my parents are now referred to as 'the rich side of the family' by a crowd of people that own about half a province of arable land, three building companies, a freight company with a couple of HGVs and a herd of pedigree beef cows.

Is this the syndrome of 'you've stolen our daughter'?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Sounds like you're the posh, rather than rich, side of the family. They seem like the sort of people who will never consider themselves rich regardless of how rich they get, which is a trait a lot of rich people seem to share.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      I didn't want to be left out, so here goes;

Having tolerated the family dinner a couple of weeks ago and avoided discussions with the sister in law with the gigantic chip on her shoulder, after Lady Tester renegotiated the location with her mother to find a semi-decent restaurant, the MIL whining has begun. MIL said to Lady Tester on the phone that in the past she didn't care what sort of restaurant we visited, so why does she want something smarter nowadays, and why is she always wearing smart clothes when she wore old crap in the past? Is it because of that MTT?

I have supposedly 'changed' MIL's daughter from the simple farm girl they (thought they'd) raised into a posh and rather fussy person who's always better dressed than the rest of the family. Deary me, what a whinge. As long as I've known Lady Tester, she's always been quite stylish (yes, even in our grungey metalhead youth kind of way) but now, seeing as we're making a bit more money than when we met, she quite likes visiting various boutiques and buying shoes and dresses, as many ladies do. We've also always liked good food and a bottle or three of fermented grape juice, but no, now I've changed the girl.

Strange also that I and my parents are now referred to as 'the rich side of the family' by a crowd of people that own about half a province of arable land, three building companies, a freight company with a couple of HGVs and a herd of pedigree beef cows.

Is this the syndrome of 'you've stolen our daughter'?
      Mrs SB's mum occasionally says to Mrs SB, "You've got awful English." Which is NOT A GOOD THING.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Sounds like you're the posh, rather than rich, side of the family. They seem like the sort of people who will never consider themselves rich regardless of how rich they get, which is a trait a lot of rich people seem to share.
        I think they're genuinely too simple to comprehend how rich they are. They recently recieved the valuation the council puts on houses for the sake of taxes and were genuinely shocked, saying ´but we´re just simple people that don´t have that kind of money´. I can sympathise because many people who bought or built their homes in the 70s now have considerable wealth tied up in their bricks and mortar and of course the politicoscum want their cut. But the remarks are getting increasingly strange as if they're jealous of something.

Comment

The old man's dear old mum is an absolute delight. Still works the station toilets at weekends when her knees are up to it. She's starting to lose her marbles though and keeps getting these delusions that she's drinking champagne in California airport lounges and building a buy to let empire.

Comment

But the remarks are getting increasingly strange as if they're jealous of something.
            Upset that money can't buy class perhaps? Although it doesn't sound like that would bother them, they sound proud enough of who they are. Perhaps it's a (misguided?) perception that you, and their daughter, might look down on them?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Upset that money can't buy class perhaps? Although it doesn't sound like that would bother them, they sound proud enough of who they are. Perhaps it's a (misguided?) perception that you, and their daughter, might look down on them?
              I think the last, and we certainly don't look down on them. Sister in law seems to be doing her best to persuade us to look down on her though.

Comment

I think the last, and we certainly don't look down on them. Sister in law seems to be doing her best to persuade us to look down on her though.
                Are they cretins?
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  The old man's dear old mum is an absolute delight. Still works the station toilets at weekends when her knees are up to it. She's starting to lose her marbles though and keeps getting these delusions that she's drinking champagne in California airport lounges and building a buy to let empire.
                  Subtle
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                    Are they cretins?
                    No, I don't think they post on CUK.

Comment

Working...
                    X