• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Digital sexs wars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital sexs wars

Digital sex wars – why women like me have to take control online - Telegraph

================================================== =====================================
    Telegraph writer Sarah Rainey faces daily abuse on the web simply for being a woman

'Everything about you disgusts me,” begins the email. “I would spit on you if I saw you in the street. Actually, I wouldn’t bother. You’re not worth my saliva.” I hit delete. Another pings into my inbox. “One can only hope that someone as pompous as you will find herself confined to hell sooner rather than later,” it reads. The anonymous sender goes on to criticise my “pathetic life”. It, too, goes straight in the bin.

I receive comments like this roughly two or three times a day. Not to mention the abuse I am sent on Twitter, Facebook and the hateful remarks posted online under almost every article I write. “I don’t hold out much optimism for the author’s marriage,” writes one particularly eloquent stranger. “The overdone hair and make-up point to a selfish, high-maintenance individual.” “Shut your stupid mouth and get a real job,” jibes another. “You’re too boring and too ugly to be taking up my attention.”
    ================================================== =====================================

No. You face daily abuse because you are useless. Being a woman has nothing to do with it.

But rather than face up to it and getting a job she is more suited to she moans away.

Shame she is not a black female. Then deciding whether to blame being useless on being female or being black would make her head explode.

poorly researched article, didn't even check wikipedia!

Indeed, though trolling is a modern term – coined around 2006
    Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

How much is her house worth?

I am never sure why attacking the person is more popular than attacking the facts?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      No. You face daily abuse because you are useless. Being a woman has nothing to do with it.
      She writes on the Telegraph, whose forums are a cess pit where bitter old men spew their gall over all and sundry.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Shame she is not a black female. Then deciding whether to blame being useless on being female or being black would make her head explode.

Comment

I don't think it's got much tk do with her being a woman, male bloggers get there share of abuse as well. It comes from having a job which involves being opinionated. You're going to have people disagree with you and many of them will do it in a disagreeable way.

Of course the nature of the abuse will tend to refer to her femininity, in much the same way as black people are abused racially. It's a soft target for those incapable of crafting proper insults on a level playing field.
          Last edited by doodab; 29 April 2014, 11:52.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            I don't think it's got much tk do with her being a woman, male bloggers get there share of abuse as well. It comes from having a job which involves being opinionated. You're going to have people disagree with you and many of them will do it in a disagreeable way.
            I completely agree with this and in fact anyone who has a job where they are supposed to put their opinion forward in a public forum should expect to have other peoples opinions thrust upon them.

Ok I agree sometimes it can be hateful but if you do not like it get another job - some of these people seem to think that everyone should listen to their ideas whilat they do not have to listen to other people's...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              I completely agree with this and in fact anyone who has a job where they are supposed to put their opinion forward in a public forum should expect to have other peoples opinions thrust upon them.

Ok I agree sometimes it can be hateful but if you do not like it get another job - some of these people seem to think that everyone should listen to their ideas whilat they do not have to listen to other people's...
              Yeah, sadly I think a certain amount of abuse is to be expected when you put yourself in the public eye. I don't think anyone should have to put up with racist or sexist abuse when they are doing their job though, however objectionable what they do might be.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

"I don't know about you but whenever I read a blog I do not let my eye drop below half the screen in case I accidentally hit the bit where the comments reside. Of all the stinking, sliding, scuttling, weird, entomological creatures that inhabit the floor of the internet those comments on blogs are the most unbearable, almost beyond imagining. Their resentment, their desire to be heard at the most vituperative level, at the most unpleasant and malevolent, genuinely ill-willed malevolent, level is terrifying and I am very often simply not able to cope with that,"
                Stephen Fry.
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                  Stephen Fry.
                  And forums are just the comments without the content. What are we doing here....

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    She writes on the Telegraph, whose forums are a cess pit where bitter old men spew their gall over all and sundry.
                    Hmm that sounds familiar .......
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X