• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pep Guardiola

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pep Guardiola

He seems to be a bit of a one trick pony to me. He can set a team up for possession football but he has no plan B and his teams lack that change of pace that to me at least has always marked the great teams from the good ones. That I think is why they (and particularly the Spanish national side) can sometimes be a bit boring to watch and seem to struggle to score.

That style, that he arguably invented, or at least evolved from the total football that Cruyff bought to to Barca, was very successful for a long time but is now proven beatable with solid defending and rapid counter attacks, in fact that's exactly how Chelsea beat his Barca team in 2012 and Bayern thrashed them last year. You'd have thought he'd have learnt his lesson and evolved things by now.

When you think of really great teams, 70s Brazil, the unbeatable Milan team of the 90s, the Arsenal Invincibles, they could all play keep ball and frustrate the opposition, perhaps not to the same degree as Barca or Bayern, but it was part of their game. The important difference is that they were also fast and deadly on the counter and that's something the tiki taka style lacks. Guardiola seems to have actively beaten that out of Bayern and it's made them a weaker side. As was demonstrated again last night a pure tiki taka side is vulnerable to a thrashing from a side that defends and counters well.

Just my 2C.

I hope Chelsea make the final, it will be interesting to watch Real's array of stars try and get past Jose's 10 men behind the ball.
    Last edited by doodab; 30 April 2014, 08:48.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    He seems to be a bit of a one trick pony to me. He can set a team up for possession football but he has no plan B and his teams lack that change of pace that to me at least has always marked the great teams from the good ones. That I think is why they (and particularly the Spanish national side) can sometimes be a bit boring to watch and seem to struggle to score.

That style, that he arguably invented, or at least evolved from the total football that Cruyff bought to to Barca, was very successful for a long time but is now proven beatable with solid defending and rapid counter attacks, in fact that's exactly how Chelsea beat his Barca team in 2012 and Bayern thrashed them last year. You'd have thought he'd have learnt his lesson and evolved things by now.

When you think of really great teams, 70s Brazil, the unbeatable Milan team of the 90s, the Arsenal Invincibles, they could all play keep ball and frustrate the opposition, perhaps not to the same degree as Barca or Bayern, but it was part of their game. The important difference is that they were also fast and deadly on the counter and that's something the tiki taka style lacks. Guardiola seems to have actively beaten that out of Bayern and it's made them a weaker side.

Just my 2C.
    +1

Whenever they had the chance to counter attack they just seemed to slow down the game again into a "pass the opponent to death" style. Brendon Rogers has cleverly combined possession football with the direct approach. Barca & Bayern have been going down hill by becoming religious fanatics on their style of football. Honestly I would always prefer to watch the exciting teams that Fergie setup as opposed to the 90% possession, one-sided games of Barca and now Bayern....

Comment

Each time that Bayern have lost since Pep took over has been the same, Bayern do all this tiki-taka style football and when the other team have taken the ball from them and attacked, Bayern haven't been able to contain them when that happens (mind you, the defence last night was crap.) But also letting in 2 goals from dead ball situations shows a lack of planning in that area. Pep seems to have no plan B
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I guess the test will be if he manages to evolve (or perhaps devolve) his style of play to encompass more pacy and direct attacking when the opportunity arises. It just seems foolish not to take advantage of the space left when play breaks down.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I guess the test will be if he manages to evolve (or perhaps devolve) his style of play to encompass more pacy and direct attacking when the opportunity arises. It just seems foolish not to take advantage of the space left when play breaks down.
          He is attempting to convert Bayern into Barca and since Bayern are not Barca they just can not compete with the absolute best in Europe...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            He is attempting to convert Bayern into Barca and since Bayern are not Barca they just can not compete with the absolute best in Europe...
            Although I'm not a fan of Bayern, they are currently Champions League trophy holders so they can't be that bad and remember that they have played Real Madrid 10 times before in the semi's and beaten them 9 out of those 10 so they can't be too bad. Real are also only 2 points behind Barca in the Spanish league and have a game in hand and look who's top? They're playing Chelsea tonight, who will win that and who will be parking the bus tonight?
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Although I'm not a fan of Bayern, they are currently Champions League trophy holders so they can't be that bad
              But that was under different management, and although the personnel haven't changed significantly their style last year had a lot more power and pace about it. They were exciting to watch and looked dangerous everytime they came forwards. Guardiola has for some reason removed that aspect of their game and it's made them weaker. Now they look for a sideways pass instead. They've been beaten at home several times this year and they are a shadow of the team that tonked barca 7-0 on aggregate last year.
              Last edited by doodab; 30 April 2014, 11:59.

Comment

One key difference is that whilst Pep was at Barcelona he had Messi in his prime. When you have Messi scoring 60+ a season you can afford to concede a few!

Don't get me wrong, Bayern are an excellent team with excellent players, there's no doubt about that, but they don't have anyone nearly as good as Messi was during those years.

Having said that, I don't think there's much between the two teams, on another day Bayern might've got the first goal and not conceded sloppy goals from set pieces.. It's just the way it goes sometimes.

I hope Chelsea make it (as a united fan, I should get used to being a neutral in the CL) but I see it being an all-Madrid final.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
                  One key difference is that whilst Pep was at Barcelona he had Messi in his prime. When you have Messi scoring 60+ a season you can afford to concede a few!

Don't get me wrong, Bayern are an excellent team with excellent players, there's no doubt about that, but they don't have anyone nearly as good as Messi was during those years.

Having said that, I don't think there's much between the two teams, on another day Bayern might've got the first goal and not conceded sloppy goals from set pieces.. It's just the way it goes sometimes.

I hope Chelsea make it (as a united fan, I should get used to being a neutral in the CL) but I see it being an all-Madrid final.
                  Indeed - when Barca were missing Messi and/or Iniesta they really struggled to score becuase the tippy tappy tulip simply did not unlock a decent defense.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Although I'm not a fan of Bayern, they are currently Champions League trophy holders so they can't be that bad and remember that they have played Real Madrid 10 times before in the semi's and beaten them 9 out of those 10 so they can't be too bad. Real are also only 2 points behind Barca in the Spanish league and have a game in hand and look who's top? They're playing Chelsea tonight, who will win that and who will be parking the bus tonight?
                    The posts below this one explain my point. Bayern are not Barca, while Bayern have still been successful it's a case of a manager imposing their own style on a team rather than adapting themselves to suite the style that suites the team best. Bayern are not as technically able as Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and so a good defence will simply not allow them past. Even United were 30 mins away from reaching the Semis before Evra cocked up.

Comment

Working...
                    X