• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

driving in Chicago

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driving in Chicago

On the way back from the lakes..and I'm in the far left lane as usual. As - according to my wife - I drive slower than a camal can walk. Getting ready to move on to the m61. And this small dicked man (aka BMW driver) slows down in the middle lane and indicates that he wants to pull in ahead of me. Now, with my NA style of driving I see that there's plenty of room ahead of me for his car to fit in, and at any rate the sign shows clearly that the TWO(2) left lanes will become the M61. But the small dicked man obviously is staring at his GPS and not the road. Anyway, after a moment he pulls in and then brakes hard, then flips me the bird. He obviously feels that turning on your indicator means that other drivers are legally obliged to gift him the space he so desires. A minute later, he then moves to the right lane and drives off. "If I had a rocket launcher..."

For a country that brags on about how good its drivers are, you wouldn't last a minute in Chicago. Do something like that there and you'd get shot. He's just lucky the wife and child were with me...else he'd be missing a rear bumper right now.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

M61 - Location says it all. - If it were the M25 then the guy would not have indicated!
    Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

I HATE POLITICIAN AVATARS!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrr

Maybe my avatar will be Hitler, Nero or Stalin as they both kicked ass, but would it be nice for some peeps to see it.

Maybe someone forgot they were in IT and not at Westminister. Were more important than politicians, because they cant start a war without being assassinated or impeached, but the elite of us can. They like to feel they are important, but they are not. I have cracked almost everything that was ever developed (all legal). From Tactical Ops to Win XP corprate activation.

I know someone who has managed to hack 7 Iranian boxs inside several uranium 235 enrichment factories. Spyware running on 3 servers there now. Installed a private client. Their DHCP let them down. Nothing Dynamic about fibre optic or cat 5. Webservers also had too many known ports open.

Scares me. He is probably making half of this stuff up, but even if half of the things he claims are true, he will be rich before me and that shivers my timbers grrrrrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by wc2
        M61 - Location says it all. - If it were the M25 then the guy would not have indicated!
        I'm used to people not signalling..I'm just not used to people expecting me to make space for them...just 'coz theyz signalling. And then fingering me 'coz I didn't...then again...this is its-okay-to-run-over-pedestrian country.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

i

upset one the other day.

Queueing the M4 chaos while they closed it so they could paint white line sor something causing 10 mile tailbacks I sat in the 2nd lane waiting like a good brit, some prat sailed alon on the outside line past the 5 signs saying the lane was closed and tried to cut in. Unfortunately a shiny new people carrier is no match for a rusty old ford, he got out of my way, I love the scratch marks the wife put on my car, people just know you are serious!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

"I'm used to people not signalling..I'm just not used to people expecting me to make space for them...just 'coz theyz signalling. And then fingering me 'coz I didn't...then again...this is its-okay-to-run-over-pedestrian country."

Agree completely. Just because you are indicating does not mean that I am going to drop back to let you in. If there is room in front of me I'll let them in, but if they expect me to slow down so that they can get in front of me they can forget it.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I always slow down to let people in when they signal. I find 95% of other drivers will do the same for me. The 5% who don't are the kind of anti-social psycho drivers I would shoot, if I had a gun and could get away with it.

If drivers didn't behave as I do, it would be close to impossible to ever change lanes, on the roads I drive on.

On the other hand, I don't understand why a BMW would need someone to slow down, to get into their lane, if there was space ahead of them. It woud be different if it was a truck, or an arthritic antique van incapable of exceeding 70mph (like one I let in last week) or there was a speed camera coming up.
              Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 30 August 2006, 08:53.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran
                upset one the other day.

Queueing the M4 chaos while they closed it so they could paint white line sor something causing 10 mile tailbacks I sat in the 2nd lane waiting like a good brit, some prat sailed alon on the outside line past the 5 signs saying the lane was closed and tried to cut in. Unfortunately a shiny new people carrier is no match for a rusty old ford, he got out of my way, I love the scratch marks the wife put on my car, people just know you are serious!
                One of these will solve the problem:
                Train Horn
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

some prat sailed alon on the outside line past the 5 signs saying the lane was closed and tried to cut in
                  I think the prat was doing the right thing, in the sense that if everyone followed his example the queue-jumping problem would disappear.

Where lanes merge I think the logical way to proceed is for everyone to use all lanes right up to the physical point of merger, then merge at that point, with cars in the lane being merged into each letting one driver in.

The alternative, if one lane is left empty, is that drivers with differing degrees of altruism make different decisions about when to change lanes, or to put it another way, different decisions about how much queue-jumping is acceptable. As some people are considerably more thick-skinned than others, this can lead to a certain amount of social tension.

The social tension disappears when the queue-jumping option is eliminated by enough drivers blocking the queue-jumping lane.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
                    The social tension disappears when the queue-jumping option is eliminated by enough drivers blocking the queue-jumping lane.
                    This role usually seem to be fulfilled by truck drivers and occasionally coach drivers who will sit in the empty lane matching speed with the full one untill they merge in at the end. Unsurprisingly it seem the ensure that every one gets through a little quicker.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X