• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not the best way to start the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not the best way to start the day

Managed to bump into someone coming off my drive. I checked, there was a gap, so I reversed out and once i'm 3 or 4 feet out in the road she tries to get past and I hit her rear wheelarch. aI was looking the other way at the parked car behind me at the moment of impact.

In my opinion as I had already blocked the road (it's a narrow residential street with cars parked both sides and perhaps 12 feet gap between them) she should have waited instead of forcing her way through. She obviously disagrees. What does the panel think?

She doesn't want to go through the insurance. I do as it will cost me nothing.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

I think, technically, if you're reversing it's your fault. But it does sound like she was a bit of an idiot, so might be room for negotiation.

Comment

WSS. Probably it's your fault, legally speaking, but you have to be pretty dumb to drive past somebody reversing out like that without being sure they've seen you and stopped.
      Last edited by VectraMan; 1 May 2014, 10:37.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Insurance Company Lie. Reversing accident NOT always your fault.

Comment

Reverse into the drive and drive out forward.

Much safer

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Reverse into the drive and drive out forward.

Much safer
            True, but it's rarely possible where I live due to parked cars either side of and opposite the dropped kerb. Doable in a supermini but hard work in a large saloon with a queue of traffic behind you. Sadly my road is a cut through to the sliproad onto the A3 so there are an endless supply of impatient ****ers who will sit their tooting as you shuffle back and forth to get it on the drive.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'd stick to insurance if I were you - these kind of people tend to be a little bit 'special', and it wasn't surprise me if you paid to fix it and then found a claim for whiplash waiting for your or something stupid.

I'd also be pushing for a 50/50 settle at the very least.

Comment

Insurance.

Did she have any?
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Insurance.

Did she have any?
                  We will find out. I expect so as she was an indian doctor on her way to work, so quite a sensible law abiding type. She seemed quite taken aback when I mentioned I wasn't worried about my premium going up cos I was quite likely to be dead by then anyway.

I might be on shaky ground myself as I got three points for speeding a while back and haven't got around to telling them yet. I've not told them about the cancer either, not sure if that's required or not but I probably should mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    We will find out. I expect so as she was an indian doctor on her way to work, so quite a sensible law abiding type. She seemed quite taken aback when I mentioned I wasn't worried about my premium going up cos I was quite likely to be dead by then anyway.

I might be on shaky ground myself as I got three points for speeding a while back and haven't got around to telling them yet. I've not told them about the cancer either, not sure if that's required or not but I probably should mention it.
                    I know I shouldn't but that me LOL. Conversation top trumps.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X